Refined and streamlined, Systems Analysis and Design in a Changing World, 7E helps students develop the conceptual, technical, and managerial foundations for systems analysis design and implementation as well as project management principles for systems development. Using case driven techniques, the succinct 14-chapter text focuses on content that is key for success in today's systems analysis and design. The authors use a highly effective presentation to teach both traditional (structured) and object-oriented (OO) approaches to systems analysis and design. The book highlights use cases, use diagrams, and use case descriptions required for a modeling approach, while demonstrating their application to traditional, web development, object-oriented, and service-oriented architecture approaches.
The Seventh Edition's refined sequence of topics makes it easier to read and understand than ever. Regrouped analysis and design chapters provide more flexibility in course organization. Enabling students to apply what they learn as they go, the text's running cases have been completely updated, and now include a stronger focus on connectivity in applications. In addition, each new copy of the text includes 60-day trial versions of Microsoft Project 2013 Professional and Microsoft Visio 2013, giving your students hands-on experience with powerful software like professionals use.
New to the Edition
About the Author
- Refined Sequence of Topics: Creating a text that is more student friendly than ever, the authors have refined the Seventh Edition's organisation, creating a more streamlined and integrated flow of topics. The refinement makes the learning process smoother and more connected—ultimately resulting in a text that is easier to read and understand.
- Reorganisation of Analysis and Design Chapters: All the analysis chapters are combined into Part Two, while all fundamental design chapters are combined into a coherent whole in Part Three. University courses that include only the fundamentals of design—and not the more advanced OO design topics—will find this organisation easier to work with. The advanced OO design chapters are also integrated together to provide comprehensive coverage and a smooth transition from fundamentals to advanced topics. This organisation provides tremendous flexibility in course organisation.
- New Trends Integrated Throughout: Because innovations in development methodologies in the industry are becoming more mature, the authors now integrate them into the main body of the materials instead of pulling them together in a separate chapter at the end of the book.
- Enhanced Treatment of Design and Implementation Using Components: Reflecting new industry trends, the Systems Design and Deployment topics have been reworked. In real-world practice, the development of new systems is migrating more and more to combinations of existing components and plugins with new software. This is occurring in all system development including both commercially purchased software and open-source software—and is fully addressed in the Seventh Edition.
- Updated Running Cases: Completely up-to-date with today's technological environment, the running cases that provide continuity of problem sets and projects have been thoroughly revised and now include more focus on connectivity in applications.
is a Professor in the Computer Information Systems department at Missouri State University. With teaching and research experience at leading CIS and MIS university programs since 1991, Dr. Satzinger provides a strong managerial focus and powerful vision for this text. His interests and specialties include systems analysis and design, graphical user interface design, object-oriented development, and database and client-server development. He earned his MBA from Cal Poly University and his Ph.D. from the Claremont Graduate University.
is a retired member of the faculty of the Information Systems Department at Brigham Young University. He has researched, published, and taught in the areas of object-oriented systems development, e-commerce, Web systems, project management, and information systems education. Bringing a wealth of real-world business experience and technical expertise to this book, Dr. Jackson is currently self-employed as a principal in several new e-commerce ventures, where he practices firsthand the analysis, design, and business principles presented in the Seventh Edition. He received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from Brigham Young University.
Dr. Stephen Burd
is an Associate Professor at the University of New Mexico, where he has been teaching courses in management information systems, networks, databases, and hardware/software since 1984. The author of more than seven top-selling textbooks for Course Technology and Cengage Learning, Dr. Burd brings significant strengths and industry knowledge to this text. He received his B.B.A. and M.B.A. from the University of Baltimore and his Ph.D. from Purdue University.