This is a textbook written especially for first year LLB students. It is intended to be a complete resource for students commencing a law degree in Australia and to be used in foundational law units offered in Australian universities for first year LLB students.
The textbook will give students insight into the operation of the Australian legal system and law making in Australia as well as guidance on skills such as legal reasoning, researching and writing which they will need to develop in order to successfully navigate their law degree. Students will gain an understanding of the requirements and process for admission to practice as an Australian lawyer as well as tips for developing fundamental skills for surviving and thriving as a law student.
In short, the text will comprise a dual focus of knowledge and skills to equip first year students with a solid foundation for their law studies.
- The textbook will combine content from the following texts previously published by Thomson Reuters to create an all-encompassing first year textbook (as a ‘custom text’)
- Different author ‘voices’ will be pulled together with one voice in ‘summary’ pages, checklists, easy to reference information and consistent key terms throughout the entire custom book
- Based on the national minimum Threshold Learning Outcomes for Law (agreed standards to be endorsed by the Council of Australian Law Deans) and integrating knowledge content as well as skills, including practical skills
- Features such as the ‘voice of the profession’ , case examples etc - using different areas of legal practice to explain the importance of statutory interpretation, legal reasoning and method, studying law and law in society
- Complimentary linked online teaching resources based on first year best practice and pedagogy.
Following on from the work of the ALTC Discipline Scholars in Law in drafting Threshold Learning Outcomes (TLOs) for the LLB, the Council of Australian Law Deans is in the process of adopting 6 teaching and learning outcomes (‘TLOs’) to be recognised Australia wide as the overarching goals for all LLB courses. These TLOs are based on the knowledge and skills requirements stated in the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF), the minimum standard required for a Bachelor of Laws degree in Australia.
The text will be structured in line with the TLOs to make obvious links between the TLOs and content, thereby making it easy for teaching staff to facilitate engagement with the TLOs amongst their first year students.
Tertiary; University or College
Published: 28th October 2011
Publisher: Thomson Reuters Australia, Limited
Country of Publication: AU