Since the initial publication of Practical SGML the computer industry has seen a dramatic increase in the use and acceptance of SGML and many of the concepts derived from it. The existence of Practical SGML has helped to foster this growth as it provides a practical and vital introduction to the many facets of SGML and how its fits into an organization, whether it be business or government.
Practical SGML, Second Edition is an extensive revision and update that puts greater emphasis and focus on helping the novice work his or her way through the vast amounts of information required to become proficient in SGML.
Practical SGML, Second Edition provides the reader with an understanding of:
- the tools currently on the market that enable the easy creation of SGML data and the use and distribution of that data in a variety of forms;
- the minimum amount of information needed by people who wish to understand and use ISO 8879;
- aids and information on how to stay current with the volumes of material written on SGML in publications throughout the world;
- practical examples of the many SGML constructs and guidelines on their appropriate uses;
- other helpful hints and insights based on years of working with the standard and integrating it into a complex and challenging computer environment.
Exercises throughout the text allow the readers to test their understanding. Answers are given in Appendix A. Practical SGML, Second Edition
is an invaluable reference manual for anyone interested in understanding and using SGML.