Take a journey around the world by rail, from the American Rockies to the Australian outback, covering 50 routes from 35 countries. Detailed commentary on the geography and history of each line, from leading railways expert Julian Holland, is complemented by prestigious Times mapping and beautiful photography. Railway journeys include:
- Le Petit Train Jaune in the Pyrenees featuring France’s highest railway station.
- Cape Town to Kimberley in South Africa a feat of late Victorian engineering through the Hex River Mountains and across the Karoo Desert.
- Qinghai-Tibet Railway in China contains the highest railway, tunnel and station in the world.
- Trans-Australian Railway in Australia contains the world’s longest stretch of dead straight track.
- Cumbres & Toltec Railroad in USA takes passengers on an awe-inspiring scenic 64-mile journey through the Rocky Mountains along the Colorado-New Mexico border.
About the Author
- La Trochita in Argentina where original oil-fired steam locomotives travel along a narrow gauge railway in the shadow of the Andes Mountains.
Writer and photographer on many railway books, including the highly acclaimed The Times Mapping the Railways (2011), Britain’s Scenic Railways (2012) and Exploring Britain’s Lost Railways (HarperCollins, 2013).
Regularly interviewed to discuss railways, recently by BBC and ITV, as well as other national and local media.
"A rich, mouth-watering selection of exquisite or scenic journeys" The Railway Magazine
"From the West Highland Line to the Nilgiri mountains of India, the book is a hymn to rail travel" The Herald
"His detail of each route is meticulous. The stunning photography makes it very easy to imagine yourself within the landscape" The Press and Journal
"With the help of some truly outstanding photography, Julian charts the geography, history and culture of each route" Welsh Coastal Life