Written for those who work with parents, adolescents, and children in various family contexts, this book describes the practical process of assessment and intervention which can lead to empowering individual families and improving their quality of life. Illustrative case material is used throughout the book to highlight the step-by-step assessment process, and to link theory and practice with evaluation. Flow charts and checklists are also included to assist practitioners in assessing client situations and in monitoring interventions and outcomes. In addition, the third revised edition: Expands the material on underlying theoretical approaches to understanding behavior.Gives attention to the problems which arise from intervening in personal relationships and interactions within families.Includes new chapters addressing how children and families can go beyond solving their immediate problem and find renewed interest in social and community networks.Stresses the importance of evaluating all practices and programs as service environments change and demands for accountability increase.
"The new edition of this major book should be purchased by social work and applied psychology students, tutors and practitioners as well as those who work in parent education and support. This edition retains the strengths of the original, but also updates readers by taking account of the huge output of research in relevant disciplines during the last two decades".
Carole Sutton, De Montfort University
About the Authors.
Part I: Taking Account of Children and Their Families.
1. Assessing Children and Their Families: Where to Begin.
2. Approaching Assessment ? Step-by-Step.
3. Taking Account of the Family.
4. Formulating the "Why" Question.
Part II: Understanding Development and Change in Families and Children.
5. Childhood and adolescence.
6. Responsiveness in Parents and Children.
7. Loss and Change Experienced by Children and Families.
Part III: You as Helper.
8. Intervention: Preliminaries, Planning, and Implementation.
9. The "How" Question: Helping People to Change.
10. More Methods and Techniques.
11. Child Management and Behavioral Methods.
12. Using Life skills Training.
Part IV: Empowerment of families and Evaluation of Practice.
13. Beyond the Agency Door: Empowering and Mentoring Families.
14. Evaluating Practice Processes and Outcomes.
Appendix 1: Parent Training.
Appendix 2: Treatment Options in Cases of Child Abuse and Neglect.
Appendix 3: Separation and Divorce: a Counselling and Behavioral Manual.
Appendix 4: Sources of Increased Self-empowerment.
Number Of Pages: 360
Published: 1st August 2003
Publisher: John Wiley and Sons Ltd
Country of Publication: GB
Dimensions (cm): 216.47 x 143.92 x 20.48
Weight (kg): 0.47
Edition Number: 1
Edition Type: Revised