How self-directed democratic schooling builds fulfilling lives and can lead the way back to a civilized society
Education is ripe for democratic disruption. Students in most schools are denied fundamental social ideals such as personal freedom, public government, rule of law, and free enterprise. In our increasingly authoritarian post-truth world, self-directed democratic schooling offers a timely alternative: educating children in civilized society and showing that self-motivation outperforms coercion in its power to educate and fulfill.
When Kids Rule the School is the first comprehensive guide to democratic schooling, where kids practice life in a self-governed society-empowered as voters, bound by laws, challenged by choice, supported by community, and driven by nature. Through heartwarming stories and hard-headed details, this book covers:
- Democratic schooling philosophy, theory, and practice
- School governance by students and staff together
- Student self-direction and day-to-day life
- Deep play, cognitive development, and critical thinking
- Why democratic schooling is morally right and effective
- Model bylaws and guidance for starting a democratic school.
Created for educators, parents, and scholars, When Kids Rule the School will immerse you, heart and mind, in a promising new approach to education, and stretch your thinking about what school can be.