A kindergarten teacher's ability to guide children through an entire day of activities does not happen by accident. There are secrets teachers know about our kids that let them calmly and gracefully manage a group of students who only hours earlier were arguing and negotiating with their parents about getting dressed, eating breakfast, or brushing their teeth.
What Kindergarten Teachers Know is for any parent who has imagined how much easier life would be if their three- to six-year old would cooperate at home just as they do with their favorite teachers. Lisa Holewa and Joan Rice offer creative tips, tools, and activities straight from the classrooms of award-winning teachers nationwide, translating them into things you can do at home to get your little ones listening, learning, and thinking independently.
You’ll also get insight into what teachers know about the way kids develop and learn how to use that knowledge to keep them engaged throughout the day. Packed with real-life examples, creative ideas, and practical advice, you’ll learn how to:
- Give directions that your child will actually listen to and follow
- Set the tone in your home just as a teacher does in her classroom
- Handle transitions to keep your day running smoothly
- Organize your home and schedule to make everyone's life easier
- Create rules that are straightforward, fun, and work for your family’s needs
- Give kids the tools to handle conflicts independently
- Create a sense of community and teamwork at home