The Ultimate Navigation Manual is a unique guide to finding your way on land – from the basic principles right up to the advanced technology of GPS. Designed to allow even the absolute beginner to find their way anywhere in the world, it also develops a unique confidence in navigation – with or without technical aids.
With a preface by Sir Ranulph Fiennes, contents will also include:
- Environmental clues – Using the natural environment to navigate
- Maps – An introduction to the different types of maps
- The Compass and North – How compasses work, how to use them and how to choose the right one
- Map and Compass Navigation – twenty-five easy-to-learn skills are described
- Relocation Procedures – What to do when lost, dealing with well-known relocation procedures and some ground-breaking new ones
- Stellar Navigation – Simple methods that are easy to learn
GNSS (GPS) Navigation – Why Global Satellite Navigation Systems are the most significant advance in navigation since the invention of the magnetic compass; details all of the systems now available, including the American GPS.
Specialist environments and equipment – Which techniques are best, where and how to use them in environments such as the Arctic, coastal areas, desert regions, jungles or forests, mountains and urban areas.
Written by one of the world's leading search and rescue consultants and highly illustrated with specially commissioned photographs designed to emphasise navigation problems – this is the ultimate guide to not losing your way.
Outdoors Magic 'The Collins Ultimate Navigation Manual is the best and most comprehensive navigation guide we've come across'.
Trail Magazine 'Seamlessly integrating traditional methods with cutting-edge GPS techniques into a fresh and intuitive format'
Adventure Travel `Defines the word `comprehensive'. It's got everything you could think of to do with navigation'
Field Magazine `It's an essential for anyone who spends time in the countryside'
The Great Outdoors `This is an excellent reference manual for all navigators, both amateur and professional, and I recommend it highly'
Walk Magazine `This comprehensive and richly illustrated guide has everything you could ever wish to know about navigation'
The Royal Institute of Navigation `(An) outstanding achievement in writing...a comprehensive book for Land Navigation'