The second edition of this successful <i>Strategy Reader</i> retains many of the classic readings from the previous edition, such as those by Porter, Mintzberg, Grant, Hamel and Prahalad, while adding more recent top-quality articles by prominent international scholars such as Shapiro, Teece, Hitt and Miller.<br><li>New topics covered include corporate social responsibility, new technology, ethics, strategic alliances, corporate parenting, diversification, and chaos/complexity theory. <br><li>Guides students through the literature with extensive editorial commentary. <br><li>Provides an ideal accompaniment to any major strategy textbook. <br><li>Also of interest to managers seeking to broaden their understanding of the strategic issues facing their organization. </li>
Part 1 - What Is Strategy?.
1. Of strategies, deliberate and emergent: Henry Mintzberg & James Waters.
2. Strategy as stretch and leverage: Gary Hamel & C. K. Prahalad.
3. What is strategy? Michael Porter.
Part 2 - The Context of Strategy.
4. How much does industry matter? Richard Rumelt.
5. Strategic planning as if ethics mattered: Larue T. Hosmer.
6. Green and competitive: ending the stalemate: Michael Porter & Claas van der Linde.
7. On the limits of a firm-based theory to explain business networks: the Western bias of neo-classical economics: Nicole Woolsey Biggart & Gary Hamilton.
8. The art of standards wars: Carl Shapiro & Hal R. Varian.
Part 3 - The Resource-Based View of Strategy.
9. The core competence of the corporation: C. K. Prahalad & Gary Hamel.
10. The resource-based theory of competitive advantage: implications for strategy formulation: Robert Grant.
11. Strategic assets and organisational rent: Raphael Amit & Paul Schoemaker.
12. Dynamic capabilities & strategic management: David J. Teece, Gary Pisano & Amy Shuen.
Part 4 - Connections Between Strategy, Structure and Process.
13. The structuring of organisations: Henry Mintzberg.
14. Creating a sense of mission: Andrew Campbell & Sally Yeung.
15. Managing strategic change: Strategy, Culture & Action ? Gerry Johnson.
16. Strategic product creation: managing new interactions of technology, markets & organisations: Ron Sanchez.
Part 5 - Issues in Corporate Strategy.
17. Corporate strategy & parenting theory: Michael Goold, Andrew Campbell & Marcus Alexander.
18. Related diversification, core competences & corporate performance: Constantinos C. Markides & Peter J. Williamson.
19. Developing & managing strategic alliances, building social capital and creating value: Michael A. Hitt, R. Duane Ireland & Michael D. Santoro.
Part 6 ? Developing International Strategy.
20. Global strategy: an organising framework: Sumantra Ghoshal.
21. Preparing for the future: evolution of the transnational: Christopher Bartlett, Sumantra Ghoshal & Julian Birkinshaw.
22. The internationalisation of service firms: Susan Segal-Horn.
23. Entrepreneurship in multinational corporations: the characteristics of subsidiary initiatives: Julian M. Birkinshaw.
Part 7 ? Postscript.
24. The Icarus paradox: Danny Miller.
25. Surfing the edge of chaos: Richard T. Pascale.
26. Perspectives on strategy: Geoff Jones.
Series: Strategy Reader
Number Of Pages: 568
Published: 12th November 2004
Country of Publication: GB
Dimensions (cm): 24.5 x 16.9 x 2.9
Weight (kg): 0.97
Edition Number: 2
Edition Type: Revised