Available for the first time in paperback, Seven Faces of Philanthropy introduces to you the Seven Faces approach?a powerful tool that enables development professionals to maximize their effectiveness when approaching major donors for gifts. The authors identify and profile seven types of major donors and offer you detailed strategies on how to approach them. Both novice and expert fundraisers will find this framework a valuable supplement to existing strategies and techniques.
"Prince and File provide the keys to unlock the planned giving market. They show us how to target prospective donors with laser precision and how to cultivate them based on a new understanding of donor motives, needs, and expectations."
- Peter M. Weisbaum, Esq., vice president, advanced business and estate planning, National Life Insurance Company
"Not only provides a thorough analysis of the many factors that influence funders, but also valuable insights into how one develops strategic approaches toward building long-term relationships with significant funders."
- William H. Meadows III, director, Centennial Campaign, Sierra Club
"Expands the reader's knowledge of why people give and how they can be approached and enfolded into an ongoing donor constituency. This book is a vital addition to the concepts and practice of major gift fund raising."
- Joseph R. Mixer, Ph.D., author of Principles of Professional Fundraising
"An information-packed text that will help practitioners to understand the different needs, different wants, and different response mechanisms of their gift markets. An essential guide to market behavior patterns."
- Henry A. Rosso, CFRE (Ret.) author of Achieving Excellence in Fund Raising
"Fund raisers, legal advisors, and financial advisors must communicate value in terms most appropriate to the individual philanthropic personality. . . . required reading because it enables the reader to meet that challenge."
- F. Lewis Carlisle, manager, philanthropic services, Kidder, Peabody & Co., Inc.
The Authors xiii
Introduction to the Paperback Edition xv
Introduction: A Powerful New Tool for Understanding Major Donors 1
Part 1 Profiling the Seven Faces of Philanthropy 13
1. The Communitarian: Doing Good Makes Sense 17
2. The Devout: Doing Good Is God's Will 31
3. The Investor: Doing Good Is Good Business 43
4. The Socialite: Doing Good Is Fun 56
5. The Altruist: Doing Good Feels Right 69
6. The Repayer: Doing Good in Return 81
7. The Dynast: Doing Good Is a Family Tradition 94
Part 2 Cultivating Major Donors with the Seven Faces Framework 107
8. Making Connections Through Charity Networks 111
9. Building Relationships with the Seven Philanthropic Personalities 128
10. Identifying Appropriate Giving Strategies 150
11. Sustaining Relationships Through Donor Centered Strategies 173
Conclusion: Applying the Seven Faces Framework 197
Appendix Research Methodology 203
Number Of Pages: 240
Published: 16th November 2001
Publisher: John Wiley and Sons Ltd
Country of Publication: US
Dimensions (cm): 22.5 x 15.5
Weight (kg): 0.29
Edition Number: 1