Sports surface design is crucial for the successful performance of sports skills and the reduction of injury risk. Surfaces have developed from natural materials such as turf, clay and cinder, to synthetic surfaces such as acrylic tennis courts, artificial turf for soccer and synthetic running tracks, while our understanding of natural turf has developed in terms of properties appropriate for different sports and surface sustainability. This book draws together the very latest research on biomechanical, medical and engineering approaches to the study of sports surfaces.
Written by a team of leading international sport scientists, engineers and technologists, the book covers every key aspect of surface development and design, including:
- surface behaviour
- surface classification, function, construction and maintenance
- influence of surfaces on player performance and injury
- surface test methods and monitoring
- development of natural turf and synthetic surfaces
- shoe-turf interaction
- future developments in sports surface technology.
Representing the most comprehensive and up-to-date study of sports surfaces, this book is important reading for all researchers and professionals working in sports technology, sports engineering, biomechanics or sports medicine.
Times Higher Education Books of 2015
"As an engineer and former basketball player who damaged her knees badly due to the friction between my trainers and the court, I was fascinated by The Science and Engineering of Sport Surfaces (Routledge), edited by Sharon Dixon, Paul Fleming, Iain James and Matt CarrA (c). This book provides groundbreaking research and findings for everyone interested in sport surface science and its application."
Elena Rodriguez-Falcon, Professor of Enterprise and Engineering Education, University of Sheffield
1. Introduction: History and Development of Sports Surfaces 2. Surface Classification, Function, Construction and Maintenance 3. Testing and Characterisation of Sports Surfaces 4. Sports Surfaces, Biomechanics and Injury 5. Sports Surfaces and Performance 6. Shoe-Surface Interaction 7. Ball-Surface Interaction 8. Development of Natural Turf Sports Surfaces 9. The Future of Sports Surfaces
Series: Routledge Research in Sports Technology and Engineering
Tertiary; University or College
Number Of Pages: 220
Published: 1st April 2015
Country of Publication: GB
Dimensions (cm): 24.13 x 16.51
Weight (kg): 0.45
Edition Number: 1