The Routledge Companion to Twentieth-Century Britain is a jargon-free guide to the social, economic and political history of Britain since 1900. Opening with a general introduction and overview of twentieth century Britain, the book contains a wealth of chronologies, facts and figures, introductions to major themes, the historiography of twentieth century Britain, a guide to sources and resources, biographies of the most important figures and a dictionary of key terms, providing a comprehensive and up-to-date introduction to this key period of change and development in this most urban of nations.
From the outbreak of World War One, to the introduction of the NHS, to the first television set, this book covers in detail some of the most important events that shaped twentieth-century Britain. Topics discussed include:
- class: the working and middle classes
- gender: womena (TM)s history
- ethnicity: immigration and the idea of multicultural Britain
- social policy: poverty and welfare
- economic paradox: decline and affluence
- economic change: manufacturing and services
- popular culture: music, fashion, sports, screen
- liberalisation: Victorian Values and permissiveness
- political parties: the major and minor parties
- governments: achievements and problems
- the wider world: Ireland; decolonization; European integration.
Packed with useful information, this guide will be an indispensable reference tool for all those seeking an introduction to twentieth century British history.
'...a book that does, taken as a whole, succeed in its aim of enlightening the uninitiated reader about the main aspects of an eventful century of British history.' -- Reference Reviews
Part 1: Introduction and Overview of Twentieth Century Britain Part 2: Landmarks Part 3 Historiography; A-Z of Key Historians of Twentieth Century Britain Part 4: Sources and Resources Part 5: Biography Part 6: Dictionary
Series: Routledge Companions to History
Tertiary; University or College
Number Of Pages: 424
Published: 23rd June 2009
Country of Publication: GB
Dimensions (cm): 23.39 x 15.6
Weight (kg): 0.77
Edition Number: 1