The Signet Classics edition of William Shakespeare's black comedy.
A complex play that combines pathos and humor, The Merchant of Venice also introduces one of Shakespeare's most memorable villains, the Jewish moneylender Shylock, who famously demans a "pound of flesh" for what he is owed.
This revised Signet Classics edition includes unique features such as:
• An overview of Shakespeare's life, world, and theater
• A special introduction to the play by the editor, Kenneth Myrick
• Notes on the sources of The Merchant of Venice
• Dramatic criticism from Nicholas Rowe, William Hazlitt, Elmer Edgar Stoll, and others
• A comprehensive stage and screen history of notable actors, directors, and productions
• Text, notes, and commentaries printed in the clearest, most readable text
• And more...
Series: Signet Classic Shakespeare
Number Of Pages: 219
Published: 1st April 1998
Publisher: Penguin Putnam Inc
Country of Publication: US
Dimensions (cm): 17.15 x 10.8
Weight (kg): 0.14
Edition Number: 1