Modern European economic history is marked by an endeavour to transcend the traditional national case study approach, to use comparisons and to deploy economic theory in order to draw the manifold and diverse experiences of the regions, countries and multicultural empires of Europe onto a unified frame of reference. These two volumes exemplify this modern approach. This Volume 4 of the eleven part set entitled <i>Industrial Revolutions</i> contains thirteen papers, with an introduction, which adopt and apply a conceptual and explicitly comparative approach to European economic history as a whole. Volume 5 includes sixteen national case studies, again organized around or set within the context of theoretical principles and ideas derived largely from macroeconomic theory, social accounting, productivity measurement and regional analysis.
General editors' introduction: R. A Church and E. A. Wrigley.
Introduction: P.K. O'Brien.
1. Foreign trade and the industrialization of the European periphery in the nineteenth century: I. T. Berend and G. Ranki.
2. Banking in the early stages of industrialization: conclusion: R. Cameron.
3. Patterns of development in nineteenth century Europe: N. F. R. Crafts.
4. Wars, blockades and economic change in Europe, 1792-1815: F. Crouzet.
5. Economic backwardness in historical perspective: A. Gerschenkron.
6. Commercial expansion and the industrial revolution: C. P. Kindleberger.
7. Proto-industrializaton: theory and reality. General Report: F. Mendels.
8. An economic theory of the growth of the western world: D. C. North and R. P. Thomas.
9. Transport and economic development in Europe, 1789-1914: P. K. O'Brien.
10. The pre-history of the nineteenth century: W. N. Parker.
11. Industrialization and the European economy: S. Pollard.
The take-off into self-sustained growth: W. W. Rostow.
13. Urban growth and agricultural change: England and the continent in the early modern period.
Series: Industrial Revolutions
Number Of Pages: 500
Published: 1st April 1994
Country of Publication: GB
Dimensions (cm): 24.78 x 17.03 x 3.13
Weight (kg): 0.94
Edition Number: 1