The definitive parenting book for dads celebrates 20 years We are expecting! The twentieth-anniversary edition of this thoroughly updated and revised parenting classic remains the most informative and reassuring book for expectant fathers everywhere. In addition to sharing the wisdom of the ages, Armin A. Brott, Mr. Dad, presents new insight into the emotional, financial, and physical-yes, physical-effects of impending parenthood on men. Thanks to this handy reference mums-to-be will know their partner understands and supports them during this anxious and exciting time, and that he has all the tools he needs to be a fantastic, hands-on dad.
This information-packed, month-by-month guide incorporates the expertise of top practitioners in their fields, from obstetricians and birth-class instructors to psychologists and sociologists. It also draws from Brott's own experience as a father of three and from the real-world experiences of the thousands of dads he's interviewed. With the humour of New Yorker cartoons and Brott's gentle approach, 'The Expectant Father' serves as a friendly and readable companion for dads-to-be seeking confidence, guidance, and joy!
What's new in this edition of 'The Expectant Father?'
• The latest health and safety info
• How technology is changing fatherhood
• How men's brains change by being involved during pregnancy
• Society’s shifting expectations for dads
• The amazing effects on children when fathers are active partners before birth
• How pre-birth participation makes dads more likely to be active parents post-birth
• Updated resources. . . and new research on the big questions that haven't changed much over the years:
• Am I really ready to be a dad?
• How are we going to afford this? How do I balance work and family?
• Will I be able to handle labor and delivery while being there for my partner? What if something goes wrong?
• How will this affect my relationship with my partner?
• Will we ever have sex again?
• What am I supposed to do with a new baby?
• How can I be a good dad?
• Will I ever see my friends again or have any time to myself?
About the Author
Armin A. Brott is a nationally recognized parenting expert and author of Abbeville's New Father series. He also hosts Positive Parenting, a nationally syndicated, weekly talk show. Jennifer Ash is the author of Private Palm Beach and a contributing editor to Town and Country.
Praise for The Expectant Father: "This is an essential book for all expectant fathers." -- Publisher's Weekly "Brott writes honestly and earnestly. His wry sense of humor will be a relief to hassled parents." -- Time Magazine "...stood out immediately...because of its perceptive insights"-- San Francisco Chronicle "The best guidebook to date for both the prospective father and his partner in their journey through the nine months of pregnancy...a must for fathers-to-be." -- John Munder Ross, Ph.D., author of What Men Want and Father and Child "One would be hard put to find a question about having a baby that's not dealt with here, all from the father's point of view." -- Library Journal "For fathers soon expecting the ultimate gift--a new member of the family--The Expectant Father is his best friend."-- CNN Interactive "The What to Expect When You're Expecting for men...If you know an expectant father, first baby or not, make sure he has this book." -- Full-Time Dads "...extraordinarily helpful...packed with specific advice."-- Portland Oregonian "For the dad-to-be, author Armin Brott's The Expectant Father is a terrific gift, offering insight into pregnancy and the first few weeks of parenthood." -- BabyCenter(dot)com Winner, 2005 Adding Wisdom award from Parent-to-Parent iParenting Media Award
Number Of Pages: 336
Published: 26th May 2015
Publisher: Abbeville Press Inc.,U.S.
Country of Publication: US
Dimensions (cm): 22.8 x 15.6 x 2.4
Weight (kg): 0.5
Edition Number: 4
Edition Type: Revised