The only easy-to-understand guide to the wireless revolution!
- The easy-to-understand guide to the wireless revolution–fully updated for the latest technologies!
- New and expanded coverage: broadband fixed wireless, WLANs, wireless Internet, Bluetooth, smart antennas, and more
- Updated coverage of CDMA, GPS, LMDS, and WLL systems
- Concepts, terminology, components, and systems–plus new wireless glossary
- Perfect for marketers, investors, tech writers, PR specialists, and other non-engineers!
There's a wireless revolution underway! With The Essential Guide to RF and Wireless, Second Edition, you can understand it, join it, and help drive it–even if you don't have a technical background.
Leading consultant Carl J. Weisman has thoroughly updated this bestseller to reflect new market realities and breakthrough technologies–from wireless 802.11 LANs to broadband fixed wireless, and beyond. Mr. Weisman covers wireless at every level you need to understand: concepts, terminology, building blocks, and above all, how complete wireless systems actually work. Drawing on his extensive experience training sales professionals, he explains the essence of every key wireless/RF technology–clearly, comprehensibly, and with just the right touch of humor.
- Spread spectrum and CDMA: how they work and why they're important
- New! Detailed section on broadband fixed wireless: the new "last mile" solution for residential subscribers
- New! Satellite Internet delivery
- New! Smart antenna and superconducting filter technologies and their implications
- New! Wireless Internet, m-commerce, and Bluetooth
- Expanded! Global Positioning Systems: technologies and applications
- Updated! Preview the future of mobile telephony
- Updated! Wireless LANs and home networking
From its all-new glossary to its extensive collection of charts, diagrams, and photographs, no other wireless/RF book is as accessible or as friendly! Whether you're a sales or marketing pro, customer, investor, tech writer, PR specialist, trade press writer, analyst, planner, or student, here's the up-to-the-minute briefing you've been searching for!
I. FUNDAMENTALS. 1. Basic Concepts.
Introduction. Vocabulary. RF Basics. 2. RF Behavior.
Loss and Gain. Decibels. Bandwidth. Wideband and Narrowband. RF in the Environment. Match.
II. RF HARDWARE. 3. Basic System Components.
Block Diagrams. Antennas. Amplifiers. Filters. Mixers. Sources. A Quick Review. 4. Other Components.
Switches. Attenuators. Dividers and Combiners. Couplers. Circulators and Isolators. Transformers. Detectors. Phase Shifters. Phase Detectors. Review of Components. 5. Circuits and Signals.
Semiconductors. Circuit Technologies. Modulation. Getting Around.
III. RF SYSTEMS. 6. Older Technology.
Broadcasting. Radar. Satellite Communications. Point-to-Point Microwave. 7. Mobile Telephony.
A World of Choices. The Cellular Concept. Underlying Technology. CDMA Explained. Cellular Evolution. 8. The New World of Wireless.
Broadband Fixed Wireless. Wireless Networks. The Mobile Internet. The Bleeding Edge. Glossary.
Appendix A. Acronyms.
Appendix B. Specifications.
About the Author.
Series: Essential Guides (Prentice Hall)
Tertiary; University or College
Number Of Pages: 336
Published: 21st January 2002
Publisher: Pearson Education (US)
Country of Publication: US
Dimensions (cm): 23.5 x 17.7
Weight (kg): 0.53
Edition Number: 2
Edition Type: Revised