Click on the Google Preview image above to read some pages of this book!
Most organizational leaders are locked into conducting annual or bi-annual performance reviews with their staff although they know the system is not working. Performance reviews are costly, time consuming and often a one-way experience without follow up. Companies need an entirely new approach to performance management.
The End of the Performance Review is a thoroughly tested, distinctive alternative that draws on well established principles of organizational behavior. Based around Tim Baker's unique '5 Conversations', each lasting ten minutes, the reader is offered a new model for performance management that better reflects the changing needs of both sides of the employment relationship. With a timely focus on fostering innovation, the book is practical and easy to use – featuring case studies, interviews and useful templates.
About the Author
Tim Baker is an international consultant with 17 years of experience, and Managing Director of WINNERS-AT-WORK Pty Ltd, which specialises in assisting small, medium and large organisations to manage performance. He is a published author, executive coach, trainer, visiting university lecturer, and keynote speaker. He has degrees in education and psychology and was awarded a doctoral degree from the Queensland University of Technology where his thesis was recognised by the prestigious international Emerald/EFMD Outstanding Doctoral Research Awards in 2007. Dr. Baker is author of The 8 Values of Highly Productive Companies (2009) and over 100 journal articles. He serves on the QUT Council, is a Fellow of both the Australian Human Resource Institute and the Australian Institute of Professional Facilitators.
The End of the Performance Review is the most brilliant book I have read in the last 10 years on performance reviews. Dr Baker's concepts are easy to apply in the workplace and filled with practical illustrations. It provides an entirely new way of getting the best from people at work. I couldn't put it down. A must read for any manager.
The End of the Performance Review
'Tim Baker's new book revolutionizes the way to view and conduct employee appraisals. His method is brilliant in its simplicity and highly effective in its approach. 'The End' for the traditional performance review but just the beginning for a groundbreaking new model.'
- Marshall Goldsmith, global leadership thinker and million-selling author or editor of 32 books, including the New York Times bestsellers, MOJO and What Got You Here Won't get You There
'Dr Baker leads the world in offering an innovative new approach to appraising employee performance. His research and energy in the specialised field of performance management is evidenced by his international profile as a renowned speaker, management consultant and facilitator.'
- Stephen Hartley, Australia's leading expert on project management and author of Project Management: Principles, Processes and Practice
'I believe this book will revolutionize the way we appraise performance in the modern workplace.'
- Brent D. Peterson, Ph.D., co-author of Fake Work: Why People are Working Harder Than Ever but Accomplishing Less, and How to Fix the Problem
'Don't read this book- that is if you are happy with average performance. For HR Professionals and Managers whose careers depend on creating a culture of high performance and delivering performance outcomes , this book is an absolute must read.'
- Danny Hovey, National Manager of Organizational Development, Aurizon
'A very thought provoking and alternative way to consider the age old performance management issue. The tools provided to assist in opening and continuing the dialogue between an employee and their supervisor are extremely valuable. The End of the Performance Review has definitely made me reconsider our processes, conversations and supervisor preparation.'
- Barbara Miller, Director of People and Culture, CQUniversity, Austrailia
'My clients love using the 5 Conversations! I think it is a very good process and it has a huge amount of value for organisations who commit to taking it on.'
- Anne Tocker, HR Manager, Watts Next
"Companies need an entirely new approach to performance management. Baker offers an alternative model in a book that is practical in approach and features case studies, interviews and templates."
- Frank Dillon, The Irish Times
1. Abolish the Standard Performance Review 2. The 5 Conversations Framework 3. The Climate Review Conversation 4. Moving from Job-Focus to Performance-Focus 5. Bye Bye Job Description 6. The Strengths and Talents Conversation 7. The Opportunities for Growth Conversation 8. The Learning and Development Conversation 9. The Innovation and Continuous Improvement Conversation 10. Implementing the 5 Conversations Framework 11. The Final Conversation
ISBN: 9781137347497 ISBN-10: 113734749X Audience:
Number Of Pages: 239 Published: 8th October 2013 Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan Country of Publication: GB Dimensions (cm): 21.7 x 13.7
Weight (kg): 0.34
Edition Number: 1