By Pulitzer Prize-winning Washington Post reporter Greg Miller comes an exclusive book uncovering the truth behind the Kremlin's attempt to destroy Hillary Clinton and help Donald Trump win the presidency, Trump's steadfast allegiance to Vladimir Putin and Robert Mueller's ensuing investigation of the president and those close to him
It has been called the political crime of the century: a foreign government, led by a brutal authoritarian leader, secretly interfering with the American presidential election to help elect the candidate of its choice.
The Washington Post's Pulitzer Prize-winning US national security reporter Greg Miller and his team unveil their findings from this in-depth investigation into what happened. Miller uses interviews with hundreds of people in Trump's inner circle, current and former government officials, individuals with close ties to the White House, members of the law enforcement and the intelligence communities, foreign officials, and confidential documents. The Apprentice offers exclusive information about:
- the hacking of the Democrats by Russian intelligence;
- Russian hijacking of Facebook and Twitter;
- National Security Adviser Michael Flynn’s hidden communications with the Russians;
- the attempt by Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law, to create a secret backchannel to Moscow using Russian diplomatic facilities;
- Trump’s disclosure to Russian officials of highly classified information about Israeli intelligence operations;
- Trump’s battles with the CIA and the FBI and fierce clashes within the West Wing;
- Trump’s efforts to enlist the director of national intelligence and the director of the National Security Agency to push back against the FBI’s investigation of his campaign;
- the mysterious Trump Tower meeting;
- the firing of FBI Director James Comey;
- the appointment of Mueller and the investigation that has followed;
- the internal battles within Trump’s legal camp;
- and Trump’s jaw-dropping behaviour in Helsinki.
Deeply reported and masterfully told, The Apprentice
is essential reading for anyone trying to understand Vladimir Putin's secret operation, its catastrophic impact, and the nature of betrayal.
About the Author
Greg Miller is a national security reporter for the Washington Post
. He was among the Post
reporters awarded the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for Investigative Reporting for the news organization's groundbreaking stories on Russia's interference in the 2016 election and the resulting investigations of the Trump campaign and administration. He was also part of the team awarded the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Public Service for coverage of American surveillance programs revealed by Edward Snowden. He is coauthor of the book, The Interrogators
, and in addition to the United States and Europe has reported in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Morocco, and Turkey.
`The most comprehensive account of the Trump-Russia story to date... Miller trots expertly through this troubling tale.' - Sunday Times
`[A] lucid and startling account... the clearest account yet of what Russia actually did.' - The Times