Developed by professional editors and educational consultants especially for preschoolers and children in the first years of school, the award-winning Picture Dictionary is a compilation of 900 of the words most commonly featured in elementary school reading programs and used every day by children in speech and writing. Entries are arranged alphabetically, introducing the concept that words in a dictionary are arranged in a sequence, and are illustrated with lively full-colour drawings by distinguished children's illustrator Maggie Swanson.
The same families and pets recur in the pictures, presenting children with a familiar cast of characters, engaging their attention. Playful example sentences show standard usage and encourage reading. The A-to-Z list is complemented by nine thematic illustrations at the back of the book that feature related vocabulary grouped in settings such as a classroom, a supermarket, and a zoo. Front matter includes an informative note to teachers and parents and guides them in using the book to best meet the needs of young readers.
About the Author
- Paperback edition matches the new TheAmerican Heritage First Dictionary.
- Features a word list developed by professional dictionary editors and educational consultants.
- Includes 900 words arranged alphabetically to introduce children to a dictionary's formatting.
- Example sentences show standard usage and encourage reading.
- Nine thematic illustrations featuring related vocabulary grouped in familiar settings.
- Recurring families and pets to engage children's attention.
- 2009 Parents' Choice Award for Reference Books.
The Editors of The American Heritage Dictionaries
are a team of professional lexicographers with advanced degrees in various scholarly fields. The editors familiarise themselves with the vocabulary in specific subject areas, collect materials on new developments and usage, and work with expert consultants to ensure that their publications are accurate and up-to-date.