An excellent book for faculty who regard teaching as more than a set of techniques. Menges and Weimer focus on connecting teaching with student learning, and they help faculty develop a systematic inquiry into teaching strategies, as well as showing them how to better utilize students assessment in the classroom.<br> ?Larry Braskamp, dean of the College of Education, University of Illinois, Chicago
"This book will be particularly useful to graduate students
preparing for teaching careers in higher education, to anyone
seeking examples of writing that explicitly links research and
practice, and to faculty development leaders interested in offering
useful reading to busy colleagues committed to improving their
teaching practice." (Ann E. Austin, associate professor, Program in
Higher, Adult, and Lifelong Education at Michigan State University,
J. Staff, Program, & Organization Development)
1. Using Scholarship to Improve Practice(Maryellen Weimer).
Part One: Students and Learning.
2. Teaching and Today's College Students(M. Lee Upcraft).
3. Making the Transition to College(Patrick T. Terenzini, Laura I.
Randoan, Susan B. Millar, M. Lee Upcraft, Patricia Gregg, Romero
Jalomo, Kevin W. Allison).
4. Student Motivation from a Teaching Perspective(Raymond P. Perry,
Verena H. Menec, C. Ward Struthers).
5. Collaborative Learning: Creating Knowledge with Students(Roberta
6. Assessing Student Involvement in Learning(Robert Froh, Mark
Part Two: Teachers and Teaching.
7. Teaching Today's Students Requires a New Role for Faculty(Susan
8. Research on Learning: A Means to Enhance Instruction(Marilla D.
Svinivki, Anastasia S. Hagen, Debra K. Meyer).
9. Planning and Developing Effective Courses(George L. Geis).
10. Assignments That Promote and Integrate Learning(Joe
11. Feedback That Enhances Teaching and Learning(Robert J. Menges,
William C. Rando).
Part Three: Issues and Contexts: Higher Education Today.
12. What College Teachers Need to Know(Sarah M. Dinham).
13. Instructor Vitality: Some Provocative Implications of Theory
and Research on Human Motivation(Charles James Walker, Jennifer
14. Diversity in Academe: Cultural Strategies for Change(William G.
Tierney, Estala M. Bensimon).
15. Improving Programs Through Assessing Student Outcomes(Trudy
Series: Jossey-Bass Higher and Adult Education (Hardcover)
Number Of Pages: 448
Published: 27th November 1995
Publisher: JOSSEY BASS
Country of Publication: US
Dimensions (cm): 23.45 x 15.75
Weight (kg): 0.73
Edition Number: 1