This handbook provides a comprehensive introduction to teaching English in primary and secondary schools. It brings together the latest standards with authoritative guidance, ensuring that readers feel confident about how to approach their teaching. It explores the context of the subject of English and brings readers up-to-date with key developments, placing the English curriculum in the context of whole school literacy issues.
It introduces readers to key areas such as:
- planning and classroom management
- assessment, recording and reporting
- information and communication technology
- equal opportunities, special needs and differentiation
- English/literacy and whole school issues
- personal and professional early career development.
This practical book gives new English teachers a solid and dependable introduction to teaching the subject. Many of the contributors are practising classroom teachers with enormous experience to draw on. The book is grounded in the realities of teaching and offers practical and relevant advice as well as plenty of ideas to stimulate thinking and teaching.