This unique edition of the Tao Te Ching features:
- the first comprehensive verbatim translation of the entire text of the Tao Te Ching;
- literal character definitions that allow the reader to create his or her own interpretation;
- a concordance section that enables the reader to track the different ways a single character is used throughout the work;
- grammatical and interpretive notes on individual terms and verses; * a unique commentary on the first verse, which represents a complete spiritual teaching in itself; and
- a literary translation of the Tao Te Ching that can be read on its own or compared with the verbatim translation.
"Jonathan Star's "Tao Te Ching achieves the essential: It clarifies the meaning of the text without in the slightest reducing its mystery. This superb work enables readers to search for their own understanding of the "Tao Te Ching, under the guiding hand of Star's admirable scholarship."
"It would be hard to find a fresh approach to a text that ranks only behind the Bible as the most widely translated book in the world, but Star achieves that goal. As fascinating to the casual scholar as it is for the serious student."
Tertiary; University or College
For Ages: 18+ years old
Number Of Pages: 368
Published: 1st August 2003
Publisher: Penguin Putnam Inc
Country of Publication: US
Dimensions (cm): 21.6 x 18.4
Weight (kg): 0.66