Feeding a baby is a parent's earliest and most important task. Feeding is also essential to the parents' well-being; if a baby doesn't thrive or if the process is unsatisfying, parents can become anxious and distressed.
Breastfeeding is the natural way to fee an infant, but many mothers choose to bottle feed. Whichever method mothers use, pressures and problems can make the experience less than happy.
Successful Infant Feeding covers the technical side of feeding and how to manage it even in special and potentially difficult situations, such as with twins and multiples, preterm babies, and while traveling or working. As well as being advised on any safety and preparation issues with formula milk, parents will be coached in "reading" infant behavior and adjusting feeds accordingly.
Successful Infant Feeding provides:
- Help for parents in making the right decisions about how to feed their baby.
- Advice on managing feeding so that it is nurturing and emotionally satisfying whether from the breast or bottle.
- Insights into experiences and emotions surrounding feeding, including how to respond to being pressured or undermined in feeding choices.
- Guidance on learning how to respond to a baby's needs and reading infant feeding cues.
- How and when to introduce solids and health options to choose.