A first-rate book, well worth reading. Ann Lucas has taken years of research and reflection and distilled them into an easily understood, useful volume designed to help department chairs develop their leadership skills.<br> --William E. Cashin, director, Center for Faculty Evaluation and Development, Kansas State University<br> <br> A practical guide to developing the survival skills that chairs need in order to function as leaders and build cohesive teams in departments.
"A first-rate book, well worth reading....Ann Lucas has taken yearsof research and reflection and distilled them into an easilyunderstood, useful volume designed to help department chairsdevelop their leadership skills." --William E. Cashin, director,Center for Faculty Evaluation and Development, Kansas StateUniversity
"No else in the field has a background like Ann Lucas' (includingclinical psychology and organizational development), and no elseoffers such knowledgeable guidance for chairs as motivators andmentors, as jugglers of difficult and unexpected situations, asaction researchers who determine and document their owneffectiveness. Highly recommAnded!" --Robert Boice, professor ofpyschology, SUNY, Stony Brook
1. Strengthening Leadership at the Departmental Level.
2. Roles and Responsibilities of Chairs.
3. Leading the Academic Department.
4. Motivating, Evaluating, and Rewarding Faculty Members.
5. Supporting Effective Teaching in the Department.
6. Providing Feedback on Classroom Teaching.
7. Enhancing Commitments to Scholarship and Service.
8. Team Building Through Supportive Communication.
9. Managing Conflict.
10. Using Feedback from the Department.
11. The Dean's Role in Developing Departmental Leadership.
12. Survival Skills for Department Chairs.
13. Personal Strategies for Strengthening Leadership Effectiveness.
Series: Jossey-Bass Higher and Adult Education (Hardcover)
Number Of Pages: 320
Published: 4th October 1994
Publisher: JOSSEY BASS
Country of Publication: US
Dimensions (cm): 23.5 x 16.0
Weight (kg): 0.53
Edition Number: 1