Think all it takes to be successful sportswriter is a love of
sports? Read Sportswriting: The Lively Game and find
out?sports fan is one thing: a sports report is
Conrad C. Fink, veteran journalist, editor and the author of
Bottom Line Writing: Reporting the Sense of Dollars and
Writing Opinion for Impact, provides another common sense,
real-life approach for journalism or sports management students
wishing to break into the exciting, fast-paced world of
In vivid writing that is packed with the realities of sports
reporting, Professor Fink provides insight only a veteran
journalist can, such as:
- Media strategies for you and your editor
- Defining your demographic target
- What are the new sports values
- Who are your competitors in the sports arena
Learn to write quickly yet with impact; seek out the offbeat and
unusual stories your editor and readers want; and recognize the
potential conflicts inherent to sports reporting.
Part One: The Kickoff.
1. The Writer?s Arena.
2. What You Owe Your Readers.
Part Two: Our Blocking and Tackling: Strong Reporting.
3. Reporting the Key Elements.
4. Reporting the Wider Picture.
Part Three: Making the Writer?s Muse Move.
5. Writing It Straight.
6. Taking Readers Beyond the Score.
Part Four: Covering the Majors.
7. Covering Football: A Case Study.
8. Covering Baseball.
9. Covering Basketball.
Part Five: Covering the Others.
10. The Wider World of Sports.
Part Six: Columns: The Winner?s Circle in
11. Writing Game Columns.
12. In This Corner.