This unique collection of original essays brings a comparative perspective to issues of social inequality. First-rate sociologists from around the world have contributed to this exciting and rigorous volume, drawing upon their own research in the fields of race and ethnicity, class and inequality, and gender and sexuality.
- Contains original essays by first-rate scholars on issues of social inequalities around the world
- Features research and examples from the USA, Canada, UK, Australia, France, Portugal, Finland, and Japan
- Reviews research on issues of social inequalities from the fields of race, class, and gender
- Reflects on methodological issues and the strengths of qualitative research
- Provides students with an important overview of the development of social stratification studies
"Extremely worthwhile in conception, and in parts excellent and
interesting." Ethnic and Racial Studies
"This book makes fascinating reading and is a valuable
educational, research and methodological resource." Journal of
Ethnic and Migration Studies
1. Introduction: Fiona Devine (University Of Manchester ) And Mary
C. Waters (Harvard University).
2. Race, Ethnicity And Immigration In The United States: Mary C.
Waters (Harvard University).
3. The ?Language Of Race?, Identity Options And
?Belonging? In The Quebec Context: Micheline Labelle
(University Of Quebec).
4. Race And Ethnicity In France: Riva Kastoryano (Centre
National De La Recherche Scientifique).
5. Racisms, Ethnicities And British Nation Making: Liviu
Popoviciu And Mairtin Mac An Ghaill (Both University Of
6. Working Poor, Working Hard: Trajectories At The Bottom Of The
American Labor Market: Katherine Newman (Harvard University) And
Chauncy Lennon (Columbia University).
7. Class And Social Inequalities In Portugal: From Class
Structure To Working Class Practices On The Shop Floor: Elisio
Estanque (University Of Coimbra).
8. Understanding Class Inequality In Australia: Bill Martin
(Flinders University ) And Judy Wajcman (Australian National
9. Talking About Class In Britain: Fiona Devine (University Of
10. Research On Gender Stratification In The U.S.: Christine L.
Williams (University Of Texas), Patti A. Giuffre (Southwest Texas
State University), Kirsten A. Dellinger (University Of
11. The Japanese Paradox: Women?s Voices Of Fulfillment In
The Face Of Inequalities: Yuko Ogasawara (Nihon University).
12. Catching Up?:Changing Inequalities Of Gender At Work And In
The Family In The UK: Harriet Bradley (University Of Bristol).
13. Gender And Work-Related Inequalities In Finland: Paivi
Korvajarvi (University Of Tampere)