Illustrated with rich case examples, this widely used practitioner resource and text presents a range of play approaches that facilitate healing in a shorter time frame. Leading play therapists from diverse theoretical orientations show how to tailor brief interventions to each child's needs. Individual, family, and group treatment models are described and clinical guidelines are provided. Chapters demonstrate ways to rapidly build alliances with children, adolescents, and their caregivers; plan treatment for frequently encountered clinical problems; and get the most out of play materials and techniques.
New to This Edition
*Incorporates the latest research and clinical developments.
*Chapters on additional approaches: Theraplay, combined art and play therapy, Gestalt play therapy, animal-assisted play therapy, child-parent relationship therapy, Floortime, and more.
*Chapters on additional clinical problems: grief, sexual behavior problems, and autism spectrum disorder.
“This volume offers a great service to professionals who desire effective responses to the clinical demands of treating children and their families....The book thoroughly describes treatment interventions....While the book is designed for the professional who has a working knowledge of various theoretical frameworks, it is thorough enough to be used by a beginning clinician..” (on the first edition)
I. Individual Play Therapy
1. Release Play Therapy for Children with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, Heidi Gerard Kaduson
2. Cognitive-Behavioral Play Therapy for Children with Anxiety and Phobias, Meena Dasari & Susan M. Knell
3. Theraplay: The Use of Structured Play Therapy to Enhance Attachment in Children, Evangeline Munns
4. Short-Term Play Therapy for Children with Disruptive Behavior Disorders, Scott Riviere
5. Short-Term Trauma Resolution by Combining Art and Play Therapy for Children, Terry Pifalo & Sarah Hamil
6. Short-Term Gestalt Play Therapy for Grieving Children, Violet Oaklander
7. Solution-Focused Sandtray Therapy for Children, Elizabeth R. Taylor
8. Short-Term Animal-Assisted Play Therapy for Children, Risë VanFleet & Tracie Faa-Thompson
9. Short-Term Play Therapy for Children with Sexual Behavior Problems, Paris Goodyear-Brown & Amy Frew
II. Family Play Therapy
10. Child-Parent Relationship Therapy to Reduce Problem Behaviors in Children, Kimberly M. Jayne & Garry L. Landreth
11. Parent-Child Interaction Therapy for Oppositional/Defiant Behaviors, Susan G. Timmer, Anthony J. Urquiza, & Sharon Rea Zone
12. The DIR®/Floortime™ Model of Parent Training for Young Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Esther B. Hess
13. Short-Term Play Therapy for Adoptive Families: Overcoming Trauma, Facilitating Adjustment, and Strengthening Attachment with Filial Therapy, Risë VanFleet
III. Group Play Therapy
14. Directive Group Play Therapy for Children with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Norma Leben
15. Integrated Play Groups® for Children on the Autism Spectrum, Pamela Wolfberg
Number Of Pages: 384
Published: 7th April 2015
Publisher: Guilford Publications
Edition Number: 3
Edition Type: Third Edition