This full-color illustrated guide takes you through all aspects of video production, focusing on action sports. From planning and preparation to editing and postproduction, you'll get a solid understanding of the changing technology, camera techniques, and basic to more-advanced shooting principles that can be applied to almost every scenario you encounter. The countless examples of camera tricks and techniques used at major events apply to any kind of shoot.
Equally as important, you're encouraged to go beyond merely recording the scene and learn how to think like a professional cameraman. Predicting and anticipating is perhaps the greatest talent a cameraman can acquire. It means keeping both eyes open and see not only what is happening around your frame, but also what is about to happen in it. Master the techniques and tools of the trade so you can create compelling and creative work.
Includes tips on how to:
* Choose a format
* Develop your own style
* Plan for a successful project, including funding and distribution
* Capture the shot in any environment
* Shooting tips and techniques for skateboarding, snowboarding, wakeboarding, surfing, freestyle BMX, and more
* Written by a former pro athlete who has experience on both sides of the camera
* Loads of full-color illustrations to demonstrate techniques; includes valuable tips and techniques found nowhere else
* Valuable information on the business side: how to get distribution and what it takes to make it in the industry
"Grossman is a young master of shooting action sports; and that vast knowledge is all here in his book. He will take you through the field with unique clarity, insight and innovation."
-Rob Cohen, Director, The Fast and the Furious, xXx, The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
"An impressive how-to guide for the modern sports cinematographer. Grossman's secrets to cinematic success are knowledge jewels that should be pored over repeatedly by the aspiring filmmaker."
-Craig Caryl, Founder, Logic Skateboard Media, SpotStock.com
"Grossman's real life experiences and wealth of film knowledge create a fun and thoroughly engaging read."
-Simon Duggan, ACS, Cinematographer, "Live Free or Die Hard"