Click on the cover image above to read some pages of this book!
A guide for pre-service teachers to principles and practice for successful teaching and learning through all stages of schooling.
In this ground-breaking book science education is explored as a learning continuum across all years of schooling from Foundation to Year 12. The expert authors, members of Monash University's Science Education Research Group, seek to build pedagogical and content expertise by providing both a level of support and challenge for all teachers based on current research and best practice.
The text considers key issues including: what the learner brings to the science classroom; what primary and secondary teachers can learn from each other; the constructivist perspective and its value in learning science; context-based science education; the structure of the Australian curriculum and science education policy; teacher identity; the nature of scientific knowledge; principles of assessment and understanding the role of ICT in science teaching and learning.
Featuring case studies and practical examples in each chapter, this book provides pre-service teachers with the understanding and tools to ensure their students are engaged and inspired in science education throughout their school years.
About the Author
Angela Fitzgerald and Deborah Corrigan are both members of the Science Education Research Group at Monash University. Angela's research focuses on quality science teaching in primary school settings. Deborah has extensive science education research experience particularly in chemistry education and science teacher education, teacher development and teacher learning.
Part I Science and the Learner
1. Becoming a teacher of science by Ange Fitzgerald and Deb Corrigan
2. What the Learner Brings by Kathy Smith and Angela Fitzgerald
3. The Role of Context and Relevance by Deborah Corrigan & Angela Fitzgerald
Part II Understanding Science
4. The Science Curriculum by Deborah Corrigan & Karen Marangio
5. The Nature of Science by Kathy Smith, Deborah Corrigan & Jennifer Mansfield
6. Science Investigations by Deborah Corrigan, Angela Fitzgerald & Gillian Kidman
Part III Pedagogy and Assessment
7. Assessment for Student and Teacher Learning by Debra Panizzon & Stephen Keast.
8. Pedagogical Content Knowledge by John Loughran
Part IV New Approaches in Teaching and Teacher Development
9. Transitioning into Professional Practice by Rebecca Cooper & Kathy Smith
10. Science Education in Informal Settings by Alan Reid & Ben Liu
11. Science and STEM education by Deborah Corrigan & Greg Lancaster
ISBN: 9781760296889 ISBN-10: 1760296880 Audience:
Number Of Pages: 344 Published: 10th August 2018 Publisher: ALLEN & UNWIN ACADEMIC Country of Publication: AU Dimensions (cm): 23.4 x 15.3
Weight (kg): 0.64