This book is featured in our Business Books for Excellence page, a collection of the best books to help you work, communicate and manage better. Visit to see the best in business excellence.
This book is for all people in business, although it is particularly targeted at those businesses starting out and/or businesses that are floundering. The book does not assume that you have a business education, rather it draws on the one percenters from the world’s best business courses, authors and authorities and presents them in a straightforward, easy-to-understand way. Most of these business owners fall into one of two camps: they are either super enthusiastic but lack structure and certain skills; or have lost their way and are feeling completely over whelmed.
Throughout these pages, I will take you on a journey, through planning, finance, marketing and managing your risk with the aim of teaching you how to run your business better. Some of the things you read, you may know already – so treat them as a refresher. Others you will wish you had learned earlier.
About the Author
- Aimed squarely at great business practitioners that are not great at running a business.
- Easy-to-follow, pragmatic and practical, simple, direct and easy to read book that challenges basic assumptions and reminds us why we all go
- into business.
- Extremely relatable with messages told through stories and ancedotes.
- Can pick it up in Melbourne and have it read by the time you get off the plane in Sydney.
- Cheapest business consulting advice you'll ever get - filled with dozens of 1%ers that are easy to implement and will make a real difference to your business.
- Encourages the reader to think about their business differently and find ways to transform, grow and develop your business, and take both you and your business to the place you dreamed it was going.
Stephen Barnes is the Managing Director of a boutique management consulting firm – Byronvale Advisors. A self-described polymath, he advises and consults to CEOs, boards, owners and their leadership teams in organisations from multinational corporates to start-ups and not-for-profits. He helps and shows his clients how to manage their businesses with a passion and specialises in helping businesses and organisations recover, rebuild and restructure.
Stephen’s background is eclectic, which enables him to see the bigger picture and find solutions to complex problems.
Stephen started consulting to start-up businesses in 1991 as a 20 year old. He also built, owned and operated a café at this time to gain a better understanding of the issues facing start-up businesses. Stephen moved into the corporate world working in a range of industries and roles which were largely focused on processes, systems and problem-solving. He then moved back to his passion of helping organisations and businesses as a consultant.
He has been a director of many for-profit and not-for-profit organisations.
Outside of work, Stephen juggles the demands of his young family and enjoys ‘Zen time’ fly fishing when time permits. Stephen lives in Melbourne, Australia.
"An easy-to-follow, comprehensive refresher on business ownership. Stephen takes you on a journey through planning, finance, marketing and managing risk in business." - Nadia Kentera, Director, Kentera Event
..". a pragmatic and practical guide which we can all learn from... a great combination of what I knew but needed to do, which provided help in achieving those tasks." - Paul Travers, Director, KPMG and Director, FTA Secretariat
"I like this book. It's a simple, direct, easy read that challenges basic assumptions and reminds us why we all go into business. We can easily get lost or distracted along the way. This book is a great tool to bring us back on task."
- Richard Benton, Business owner, Director, Board Chairman and conservationist