In the new edition of this fascinating history, R. J. Knecht clearly and authoritatively describes the rise and fall of France in the sixteenth century. Drawing on more than forty years of research into primary and secondary sources, he combines narrative with analysis, whilst also reflecting on the cultural, economic and social contexts in which events occurred. Now updated to take account of new research in the USA, Britain and France since 1996.
"Knecht has created a synthesis of the most up-to-date research . .. and at the same time restored narrative to history." The lateJ. Russell Major
"The book deserves to establish itself as the standard accountin English of this most complicated of centuries in FrenchHistory." Sir John Elliott, Regius Professor Emeritus of ModernHistory, University of Oxford (of the last edition)
Map of France (1500).
Map of France (1585-98).
Preface to the Second Edition.
Preface to the First Edition.
1. France in 1500.
2. The Minority Rule of Charles VIII (1483-94).
3. Charles VIII and the Italian Wars (1494-8).
4. Louis XII, 'Father of the people' (1498-1515).
5. The Church in Crisis.
6. Francis I: The First Decade (1515-25).
7. The New Learning and Heresy (1483-1525).
8. Defeat, Captivity and Restoration (1525-7).
9. War and Peace (1527-38).
10. The Court and Patronage of Francis I.
11. Francis I: The Last Decade (1537-47).
12. The Absolutism of Francis I.
13. Henry II, the Victor of Metz (1547-52).
14. The Arts and Literature under Henry II.
15. Henry II: The Tragic Peace (1553-9).
16. France Overseas.
17. The Mid-Century Crisis.
18. The Failure of Conciliation (1559-62).
19. The First Civil War (1562-3).
20. The Fragile Peace (1563-6).
21. The Second and Third Civil Wars (1566-70).
22. The St Bartholomew's Day Massacres (1572).
23. Literary Responses.
24. Fraternal Discord (1573-83).
25. Henry III and his Court.
26. The Catholic League (1584-92).
27. The Triumph of Henry IV (1593-1610).
Bibliography and References.
Series: Blackwell Classic Histories of Europe
Number Of Pages: 612
Published: 24th December 2001
Country of Publication: GB
Dimensions (cm): 22.71 x 15.24 x 3.33
Weight (kg): 0.84
Edition Number: 2
Edition Type: Revised