- Is it ethical to pass yourself off as black if you are Caucasian, as Rachel Dolezai, the president of a local chapter of the NAACP, did in 2015?
- Was it ethical for Donald Sterling, the former owner of the NBA team, to use racially inflammatory language?
- Is it ethical to exaggerate or fabricate the importance of one's role, as Brian Williams apparently did when he anchored the NBC nightly news?
- Is it ethical for a journalist to pay a source for a story, tips and photos, as TMZ, Gawker and others do regularly?
The above questions as well as other questions definitely illustrate the need for studying ethics.
Real-World Media Ethics provides a wide showcase of real ethical issues faced by professionals in the media field. Numerous case studies allow readers to explore multiple perspectives while using realistic ethical principles. This book includes the basics in ethical journalism, as well as the tools to navigate through the landscape of mass media such as public relations, entertainment and other forms of visual communication. The second edition has been updated to encompass globalization, new media platforms, current copyright issues, net neutrality, sports ethics, and more. An accompanying companion website provides additional interviews demonstrating ethical principles in practice. Being a former ABC executive, author Philippe Perebinossoff gives readers an inside look at circumstances with an ethical, experienced eye.
- As a former ABC executive, the author brings a media industry insider's perspective to the issues addressed in the book.
- The book is thoroughly updated and includes a new section on sports ethics and a new chapter on globalization that addresses key issues for producers seeking to do business in foreign territories.
- A companion website provides interviews about the television and entertainment industries discussing ethical principles in practice.
1. Ethical Issues: A Starting Framework 2. Business Ethics in Mass Media 3. Ethics and the Role of Producers, Writers, Actors, and Directors 4. Controversy and Ethics 5. Ethics and Programmers 6. Globalization 7. Ethics and Fact-Based Stories 8. Ethics and Ratings 9. Journalism and Ethics 10. Ethics and New Media 11. Censorship and Celebrity 12. Diversity and Consolidation 13. The Ethics of Public Relations 14. Ethical Issues in Advertising and Marketing
Tertiary; University or College
Number Of Pages: 320
Published: 20th July 2016
Publisher: FOCAL PR
Country of Publication: GB
Dimensions (cm): 22.86 x 19.05
Weight (kg): 0.61
Edition Number: 2
Edition Type: New edition