Hayes is a founder of the Operations Strategy field, and all four authors are on the Harvard Business School faculty. In Operations, Strategy, and Technology: Pursuing the Competitive Edge--the long-awaited follow-up to the highly successful classic, Restoring Our Competitive Edge--Bob Hayes, Gary Pisano, Dave Upton, and Steve Wheelwright take a fresh look at the foundations of corporate success. This book addresses the basic principles that guide the development of a powerful operations organization, and describes how a company's operating and technological resources can be applied to create a sustainable competitive advantage in today's "new" (global and IT-intensive) economy. Achieving a competitive advantage through superior operations is what the authors refer to as the "operations edge."
1. Operations Management Confronts a New Millennium.
2. Operations Strategy: Origins and New Directions.
3. Capacity Strategy.
4. Determining Organizational Boundaries: Vertical Integration and Outsourcing.
5. Designing and Managing Operating Networks.
6. Information Technology and Operations.
7. Creating an Edge Through New Process Development.
8. Creating an Edge Through Superior Project Management.
9. Evaluating and Justifying Capital Investments.
10. Sharpening the Edge: Driving Operations Improvement.
11. Guiding the Pursuit of an Operations Edge.