Part I: Introduction:.
1. Privileging Class: Toward a Critical Psychology of Social
Class in the Context of Education: Joan M. Ostrove (Macalester
College), Elizabeth R. Cole (University of Michigan).
Part II: Understanding Class: Attitudes, Beliefs, and
2. Scaling the Socioeconomic Ladder: Low-Income Women's
Perceptions of Class Status and Opportunity: Heather E. Bullock
(University of California, Santa Cruz), Wendy M. Limbert
(University of California, Santa Cruz).
3. Social Class and Adolescents' Beliefs About Justice in
Different Social Orders: Constance A. Flanagan (Pennsylvania State
University), Bernadette Campbell (Substance Abuse Research Group,
4. Essentialism, Culture and Power: Representations of Class:
Ramaswami Mahalingam (University of Michigan).
Part III: Transitions and Traditions: Class Mobility and
Maintenance Through Education:.
5. Boys of Class, Boys of Color: Negotiating the Academic and
Social Geography of an Elite Independent School: Peter Kuriloff
(University of Pennsylvania), Michael Reichert (Center for the
Study of Boys' Lives).
6. Belonging and Wanting: Meanings of Social Class Background
for Women's Constructions of their College Experiences: Joan M.
Ostrove (Macalester College).
7. Race, Class, and the Dilemmas of Upward Mobility for African
Americans: Elizabeth R. Cole (University of Michigan), Safiya R.
Omari (Jackson State University).
8. Complex Subjectivities: Class, Ethnicity, and Race in Women's
Narratives of Upward Mobility: Sandra J. Jones (Brandeis
Part IV: Transforming Practice and Policy in Public Schools
and in Psychology:.
9. Social Class in Public Schools: Jennifer L. Hochschild
10. Class Notes: Toward a Critical Psychology of Class and
Schooling: Michelle Fine (City University of New York), April Burns
(City University of New York)