This volume looks at the three dimensions of social exclusion: economic, social and political. Exclusion is analyzed as a new approach to such issues as the 'new' poverty, precariousness, long-term unemployment, social polarization and lack of citizenship. The book shows how relational and distributional aspects of poverty are interlinked.
1. 'Path-breaking book...highly scholarly in the presentation and analysis of the data...not only valuable from a scholarly point of view but also a practical one, meaning that it can help authorities in the drafting of sensible and humane policies' Professor Colin Mackerras, Department of International Business and Asian Studies, Griffith University, Australia, Asian Ethnicity
2. 'This is a rare book, and probably the first of its kind. Unique also is the analytical rigour on the lines of empirical evidence-based research, essential especially when the topics are considered sensitive. A case study of the socio-political scene in Kashmir is useful reading' Dr Abusaleh Shariff, Executive Director, US-India Policy Institute, Washington DC; formerly, Member-Secretary, Prime Minister's High-Level Committee on Muslims, Government of India, Hindu
3. 'Bhalla and Luo have presented a vast body of data. The book is worth reading'. Dr Ashok Desai, Consultant Editor, Business World, New Delhi; formerly Chief Economic Adviser, Government of India, Journal of Quantitative Economics
4. 'Path-breaking and highly scholarly work with rigorous analysis examining the incidence of poverty, extent of inequality and access to education, health and other public services among the Muslim minorities'. Dr Quazi Shahabuddin, former Director-General, Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies, Dhaka
5. 'Bhalla-Luo well-researched and cogently argued book on the position of minorities in China and India is a very notable contribution indeed. Discussions of the status of minorities in Asia or even in the world that fail to cite it should be regarded as incomplete'. Dr Barry Sautman, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
6. 'This book is unique as being the first comparing poverty and exclusion of ethnic minorities in China and India and can be supposed to become widely cited'. Professor Bjoern A. Gustafsson, University of Gothenburg, Sweden and Institute for Labour Research (IZA), Bonn, Germany