In this most recent collection of his writing, Cavell provides extraordinary careful and sustained readings of Emerson's "Fate," Derrida's response to J. L. Austin in "Signature Event Context," and Wittgenstein's " Philosophical Investigations .
Introduction: Michael Payne and Richard Fleming.
1. Emerson's Constitutional Amending: Reading Emerson's
2. What Did Derrida Want of Austin?.
3. Seminar on "What Did Derrida Want of Austin?".
4. The Self of Philosophy: An Interview with Stanley Cavell.
5. Continuing Cavell: Side Roads of "The Claim of Reason":
6. Notes and Afterthoughts on the Opening of Wittgenstein's
Stanley Cavell: A Working Bibliography, 1951-1994: Compiled by
Peter S. Fosl and Michael Payne.