Publisher's Note: Products purchased from Third Party sellers are not guaranteed by the publisher for quality, authenticity, or access to any online entitlements included with the product.
What EMT training can't teach you, this book can
Reading this one-of-a-kind resource is like having a mentor and career coach ride along with you on every call, showing you the ropes, and explaining what it takes to become a successful medic. Paramedic Survival Guide is the perfect primer for all paramedic students-and great refresher for practicing paramedics.
Inside, you'll find narratives written by new EMTs, educators, and experts who share hard-won wisdom designed to smooth the transition from the classroom to the streets. Also included are little-known tips and tricks of the trade from seasoned medics, along with coverage of must-know topics and protocols in such key areas as patient safety and scene safety.
- Savvy career guidance on picking the right job, the recruitment and interview process, and career paths and options open to paramedics
- "A Day in the Life of a Paramedic" chapter provides a realistic, tell-it-like-it-is account of an average paramedic call, drawing special attention to the skills required to successfully handle a specific EMT case
- Taking It to the Street boxes highlight the most important concepts that new EMTs must bear in mind on the job
- Compelling statistics on the profession are interwoven throughout each chapter and reinforce key points
- Useful appendices present federal and local resources and associations available to assist medics at any level
1. Evolution of the Emergency Medical Services and the Making of "Paramedicine"
2. Your Role in the Healthcare System as an EMSProvider
3. Career Opportunities in EMS: Now You're a Paramedic!
4. Getting the Job You Want
5. Taking the Classroom to the Streets!
6. Patient Safety
7. Scene Safety
8. A Day in the Life of a Paramedic
9. One Year Anniversary
10. What's Next for Paramedics?
Appendix A. State EMS Agencies
Appendix B. Federally Sonsored EMS Programs and Federal Agencies
Appendix C. EMS Associations
Appendix D. Resources Related to EMSAppendix E. Mental Health and Treatment Programs