Observations and Reflections in Childhood focuses on using quality assessment, referred to as documentation, to record children’s learning and development during everyday activities.
This Australian text explains how to:
Observations and Reflections in Childhood
- Observe children and gather a range of documentation
- Interpret documentation using different theoretical perspectives
- Program using the strengths and interests identified in documentation
- Share documentation with others
includes examples of best practice and personal experiences from people working in long day care, outside school hours care and family day care settings. The book is written for those who are preparing to work with children in any of these settings.
About the Author
- Case studies feature throughout the text and illustrate best practice in long day care, family day care and out of school hours care.
- Text contains easy to read theory, practical examples through the use of templates.
- Text addresses the National Childcare Accreditation Council (NCAC) and the Quality Improvements and Accreditation Systems (QIAS) requirements and standards.
- Systematic approach to observation, reflection and documentation.
- Online templates.
Dianne Szarkowicz is a senior lecturer in the Faculty of Education, Health and Science at Charles Darwin University. She currently lectures in the areas of assessment and accountable teaching, research methods and developmental psychology. Her research interest includes children¿s social cognitive development, aggression and assessment. Her recent Research in Practice publication: Aggression and Young Children has been set as recommended reading by the National Childcare Accreditation Council and she has done numerous presentations and media commitments as a result of this.
1. Introduction to authentic assessment and documentation
2. Ways of documenting observations
3. Ways of documenting reflections and logs
4. Summary documentation
5. Storing and presenting documentation
Tertiary; University or College
Number Of Pages: 208
Published: 1st May 2006
Publisher: Cengage Learning Australia
Country of Publication: AU
Dimensions (cm): 24.0 x 17.4
Weight (kg): 0.38
Edition Number: 1
Edition Type: New edition