Here's the perfect series for students with little or no literacy skills in English or in their first language. By using stories about immigrant families' experiences when they first arrived in the U.S., the authors present pictures students are certain to understand. Literacy skills as well as more complex tasks in listening, speaking, reading, and writing are learned, practiced, and reinforced using these different picture stories as the focus for each unit.Students will: -- Talk about the pictures.-- Number the pictures in sequential order.-- Match the pictures with the printed words.-- Complete fill-in-the-blank activities.-- Write the stories.Each of these sixteen stories offers a life-skill focus such as employment, health, or shopping. Many of the stories are open-ended, and students are encouraged, through discussion questions, to examine their own situations and discuss possible actions.
1. 12 Hours Old A girl has a stomachache after eating good that hasn’t been stored properly.
2. At the Supermarket To women purchase items differently in a supermarket.
3. D3 to E4 An employee doesn’t question his boss when he thinks she’s wrong.
4. The Dentist A man has a tooth removed at a dental clinic.
5. Do Not Touch A man gets in trouble when he doesn’t read important workplace signs.
6. The Heater A man buys a new heater and puts it too close to the bed.
7. House on Fire A man takes three things with him when his house catches fire.
8. The Job Interview A couple interview for similar jobs but the woman gets the job.
9. No Exit A man who doesn’t read tragic signs has two accidents and gets a large hospital bill.
10. OK, No Job A woman is harassed by her boss at work.
11. One Hour An employee is unable to complete a job assigned by his boss.
12. Packing A man packs his suitcase to go away to college.
13. Pancakes A woman incorrectly follows a pancake recipe.
14. Stay for Dinner The parents of a teenage girl become angry when her boyfriend visits.
15. The Toaster A man uses a knife to get a piece of toast out of a toaster.
16. The Wallet A woman finds a wallet on the street and decides whether to keep the money.