"In a spirited and wide-ranging defence of ethical theory, Sorell combines sympathetic understanding and penetrating criticism. Both sceptics about theory and proponents of new paradigms will need to engage with his arguments."
--Jimmy Altham, University of Cambridge
"Sorell convincingly shows how certain issues in applied ethics create anomalies. Do these anomalies result in a justified scepticism toward traditional ethical theory? No, but the claims of traditional theory must be more modest. A subtle and persuasive piece of philosophy."
--Norman Bowie, The London Business School
Part I: Doubts About Moral Theories.
1. Moral Theory and Anti-Theory: Uses for Moral Theory.
Scepticism about Moral Theory.
2. Theory versus Theories: Williams on Moral Theory.
A Rough Parallel: Normal Science and Standard Normative Ethical Theory.
Puzzles in Moral Theory.
Puzzles versus Anomalies.
The Argument of the Rest of the Book.
Part II: Some Sources of Anomaly?.
3. Business, the Ethical and Self-interest: Two Sources of Prima Facie Anomaly.
The Utopianism of Business Ethics.
Moral Sensibility and Insensibility in Business.
Moral Reasons Again.
The Deep Problem in Business Ethics.
4. Politics, Power and Partisanship: Political Morality: The Moral Risks of Power for the Public Good.
Public Morality, Private Morality and Moral Schizophrenia.
Hampshire's Anti-Theory of Political Morality.
The Difference Democracy Makes.
Democracy and Partisanship.
5. Feminism and Moral Theory: How Conventional Theories Let Women Down.
Moral Theory After Gilligan.
Beyond Care? Sarah Hoagland's Lesbian Ethics.
Theory Without Patriarchy?.
The Challenge of Practice: Two True Stories.
6. Environmentalism and Moral Theory: The Land Ethic and its Competitors.
Is the Land Ethic a Moral Theory?.
How Thoroughgoing is the Land Ethic?.
The Problem of Grounding Reconsidered.
From Deep Environmentalist Theory to Practice.
A Residual Anomaly.
Part III: Conclusion.
7. The Significance of Anomaly: Anomalies Reviewed.
Do Anomalies Have Anything in Common?.
The Significance of Anomaly.