This brand-new first edition is a strategic guide to the legendary and increasingly popular Camino de Santiago pilgrimage, with the unique perspective of an expert who has trekked the Camino annually for 17 years
Over 1,200 years old, 500 miles long, and rich with tradition and sacred history: Embark on the trip of a lifetime with Moon Camino de Santiago.
Inside you'll find:
- Strategic trekking guides for walking the Camino, including where to start to get the Compostela certificate and excursions to gateway cities like Santiago, Leon, and Pamplona
- Unique ideas for enriching your experience: Admire folkloric art and Romanesque churches, stroll through the stone archways and winding alleys of medieval cities, and soak up mountain views as you cross over the Pyrenees and descend into green valleys. See the archaeological site where Europe's oldest humans were uncovered and breathe in the salty ocean air as you finish your journey at the shores of the Atlantic
- Savour the local flavours: Enjoy authentic jamon serrano, tapas, and Galician wine, or grab fresh cheese and bread for a picnic lunch
- The best detours, festivals, and villages along the way: Linger in Estella, witness the running of the bulls in Pamplona, visit the monastery in Najera, or sip wine in Cacabelos
- Essential planning information on when to go, how to get there, where to eat, and where to stay, from pilgrim dorms to private hotels, plus tips on hazards, precautions, and gear
- Valuable insight on the history and context of the pilgrimage from expert Beebe Bahrami, who has walked the Camino many times since 1995
- Full-colour photos and detailed maps throughout, plus a handy fold-out map of the entire route
- Thorough background information on the sacred sites and history of the Camino, as well as the landscape, culture, and local etiquette
- Handy tools including Spanish and French phrasebooks, visa information, volunteer opportunities, and tips for seniors, women travelling alone, religious and secular travellers, and LGBTQ travellers
Start your transformative journey with the expert insight, unique suggestions, and practical advice of Moon Camino de Santiago
About the Author
Beebe is the author of two travel memoirs, Café Oc: A Nomad's Tales of Magic, Mystery
, and Finding Home in the Dordogne of Southwestern France
, and Café Neandertal: Excavating the Past in One of Europe's Most Ancient Places
. In addition to Moon Camino de Santiago
, she has penned several travel guides, including The Spiritual Traveler Spain: A Guide to Sacred Sites and Pilgrim Routes
, and Historic Walking Guides Madrid
. Her work also appears in Wine Enthusiast, The Bark, and Archaeology, among others.
To read her work, visit www.beebebahrami.weebly.com.