Learn dental assisting top to bottom from the best, with the most comprehensive, most current, and most trusted text available. For more than 40 years, students and practitioners alike have relied on Modern Dental Assisting for its cutting-edge content, easy-to-grasp writing style, step-by-step procedures, engaging learning features, and top-notch visuals to master all aspects of dental assisting. The 12th edition showcases a brand-new illustration program and content on technological advances, public health and access to care, teledentistry, infection control guidelines, the Zika virus, Ebola, the oral-systemic health connection, and much more. Written by trusted experts Doni Bird and Debbie Robinson, this is the all-in-one learning resource you need to stay ahead of the curve in the modern world of dental assisting.
- Comprehensive, cutting edge content provides a single, start-to-finish source for dental assisting training.
- Step-by-step procedures use color coding, key-step icons, and clinical photos to demonstrate key dental assisting competencies for both general and expanded functions - detailing for each the equipment and supplies, chronological steps, and rationales.
- 70 procedural videos with questions and answers provide you with unlimited practice for clinical encounters.
- UNIQUE! Interactive Dental Office program features 25 in-depth case studies with questions, online periodontal charting, and radiographic mounting exercises to help you problem-solve their way through a wide variety of dental conditions and procedures.
- Recall and Critical Thinking questions in each chapter as well as self-assessment questions and an online mock exam provide robust opportunities for practice and application.
- Feature boxes on CDC guidelines, patient education, law and ethics, and future trends summarize recommendations and key applications in practice.
- Chapter key terms are defined at the beginning of each chapter, highlighted within text discussions, and cross-referenced to chapters within the glossary.
- Learning and performance outcomes help you focus on goals, serve as checkpoints for comprehension and skills mastery, and provide study tools for exam preparation.
- NEW! Content on the latest topics affecting dental assisting practice includes technological advancements, public health and access to care, teledentistry, infection control guidelines, the Zika virus, Ebola, the oral-systemic health connection, and much more.
- Revised art program provides vivid original renderings of dental anatomy tooth morphology and dental imaging, along with modern and improved photos of the latest products, equipment, and instruments.
PART 1: The Dental Assisting Profession 1. History of Dentistry 2. The Professional Dental Assistant 3. The Dental Healthcare Team 4. Dental Ethics 5. Dentistry and the Law PART 2: Sciences in Dentistry 6. General Anatomy 7. General Physiology 8. Oral Embryology and Histology 9. Head and Neck Anatomy 10. Landmarks of the Face and Oral Cavity 11. Overview of the Dentitions 12. Tooth Morphology PART 3: Oral Health and Prevention of Dental Disease 13. Dental Caries 14. Periodontal Disease 15. Preventive Dentistry 16. Nutrition 17. Oral Pathology PART 4: Infection Prevention in Dentistry 18. Microbiology 19. Disease Transmission and Infection Prevention 20. Principles and Techniques of Disinfection 21. Principles and Techniques of Instrument Processing and Sterilization PART 5: Occupational Health and Safety 22 Regulatory and Advisory Agencies 23. Chemical and Waste Management 24. Dental Unit Waterlines 25. Ergonomics PART 6: Patient Information and Assessment 26. The Patient's Dental Record 27. Vital Signs 28. Oral Diagnosis and Treatment Planning 29. The Special Needs and Medically Compromised Patient 30. Principles of Pharmacology 31. Assisting in a Medical Emergency PART 7: Foundation of Clinical Dentistry 32. The Dental Office 33. Delivering Dental Care 34. Dental Hand Instruments 35. Dental Handpieces and Accessories 36. Moisture Control 37. Anesthesia and Pain Control PART 8: Radiographic Imaging 38. Foundations of Radiography, Radiographic Equipment, and Radiologic Safety 39. Dental Imaging, Dental Film, and Processing Radiographs 40. Legal Issues, Quality Assurance, and Infection Prevention 41. Intraoral Imaging 42. Extraoral Imaging PART 9: Dental Materials 43. Restorative and Esthetic Dental Materials 44. Dental Liners, Bases, and Bonding Systems 45. Dental Cements 46. Impression Materials 47. Laboratory Materials and Procedures PART 10: Assisting in Comprehensive Dental Care 48. General Dentistry 49. Matrix Systems for Restorative Dentistry 50. Fixed Prosthodontics 51. Provisional Coverage 52. Removable Prosthodontics 53. Dental Implants 54. Endodontics 55. Periodontics 56. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 57. Pediatric Dentistry 58. Coronal Polishing 59. Dental Sealants 60. Orthodontics PART 11: Dental Administration and Communication Skills 61. Communication in the Dental Office 62. Business Operating Systems 63. Financial Management in the Dental Office 64. Marketing Your Skills Bibliography Glossary Index
Series: Modern Dental Assisting
Tertiary; University or College
Number Of Pages: 1184
Published: 3rd April 2017
Publisher: Elsevier - Health Sciences Division
Country of Publication: US
Dimensions (cm): 28.1 x 22.2
Weight (kg): 2.63
Edition Number: 12
Edition Type: Revised