This book is the first to bridge the often disparate bodies of knowledge now known as applied mechanics and materials science. Using a very methodological process to introduce mechanics, materials, and design issues in a manner called "total structural design," this book seeks a solution in "total design space" Features include:
* A generalized design template for solving structural design problems.
* Every chapter first introduces mechanics concepts through deformation, equilibrium, and energy considerations. Then the constitutive nature of the chapter topic is presented, followed by a link between mechanics and materials concepts. Details of analysis and materials selection are subsequently discussed.
* A concluding example design problem is provided in most chapters, so that students may get a sense of how mechanics and materials come together in the design of a real structure.
* Exercises are provided that are germane to aerospace, civil, and mechanical engineering applications, and include both deterministic and design-type problems.
* Accompanying website contains a wealth of information complementary to this text, including a set of virtual labs. Separate site areas are available for the instructor and students.
*Combines theories of solid mechanics, materials science and structural design in one coherent text/reference
*Covers physical scales from the atomistic to continuum mechanics
*Offers a generalized structural design template
|Total Structural Design|
|Design of Axial Structures|
|Design of Torsion Structures|
|Design of Flexural Structures|
|Design for Combined Static Loading|
|Design for Dynamic Loading (C?, SN)|
|Design for Yielding (Su)|
|Design for Fracture (KI)|
|Design for Slender Compressive Axial Structures|
|Design for Thermal Loads|
|Advanced Design Considerations|
|Introduction to Engineered Materials and Their Applications|
|Table of Contents provided by Publisher. All Rights Reserved.|
Audience: Tertiary; University or College
Number Of Pages: 408
Published: 1st March 2005
Publisher: ACADEMIC PR INC
Country of Publication: US
Dimensions (cm): 26.82 x 18.95 x 2.82
Weight (kg): 1.22