Hundreds of well-illustrated articles explore the most important fields of science.
Based on content from the McGraw-Hill Concise Encyclopedia of Science & Technooogy, Fifth Edition, the most widely used and respected science reference of its kind in print, each of these subject-specific quick-reference guides features:
* Detailed, well-illustrated explanations, not just definitions
* Hundreds of concise yet authoritative articles in each volume
* An easy-to-understand presentation, accessible and interesting to non-specialists
* A portable, convenient format
* Bibliographies, appendices, and other information supplement the articles
Excerpts from review by K. L. Carriveau Jr., Baylor University Entries in this work were extracted and condensed from McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology (9th ed., 20v., CH, Sep'02)... Although this version seems to meet its goal ("providing the reader with essential knowledge in chemistry without extensive detail")...the biographical section included as an appendix is useful and addresses a common need of students from high school through lower undergraduate levels...Although many of the 700 entries are dated, they are still valid and the concise edition will be valuable to special collections looking for a low-cost alternative to the full 20-volume set... Choice 20050201