MATH AND SCIENCE FOR YOUNG CHILDREN, Eighth Edition, is an introduction to engaging math and science experiences for early childhood and early elementary education programs, and provides an organized, sequential approach to creating a developmentally appropriate math and science curriculum. The content aligns with key guidelines and standards: The National Association for the Education of Young Children's (NAEYC) Professional Preparation Standards (2010); Developmentally Appropriate Practice (DAP) guidelines; Common Core Mathematics Standards; and Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS). The book also addresses STEM/STEAM and the essential domains of child growth and development during the crucial birth-through-eight age range. A valuable resource for the student/future teacher, working professional, or involved parent, MATH AND SCIENCE FOR YOUNG CHILDREN emphasizes the interrelatedness of math and science and how they can be integrated into all other curriculum areas.
"This text provides students with a clear understanding of basic science and math concepts, as well as support for translating this information into classroom practice."
"This is a comprehensive text that addresses children's math and science learning in a developmentally appropriate way. Attention is given to current research, relevant issues, and innovative approaches to teaching young children. The foundations of math and science learning are presented clearly and then integrated in a way that can be applied to an early childhood setting for children in preprimary and primary grades."
Part I: CONCEPT DEVELOPMENT IN MATHEMATICS AND SCIENCE.
1. Development, Acquisition, Problem Solving, and Assessment.
2. Basics of Science, Engineering, and Technology.
Part II: FUNDAMENTAL CONCEPTS AND SKILLS.
3. Prekindergarten and Kindergarten Concepts and Skills.
4. More Prekindergarten and Kindergarten Concepts and Skills:
Early Geometry, Parts and Wholes, and Applications of Fundamental Concepts to Science and Engineering.
Part III: APPLYING FUNDAMENTAL CONCEPTS.
5. Pre-K/K Ordering, Measurement, and Data Collection and Analysis.
6. Integrating the Curriculum.
Part IV: SYMBOLS AND HIGHER LEVEL CONCEPTS AND ACTIVITIES.
7. Transitioning from Preschool to Kindergarten to Primary.
Part V: MATHEMATICS CONCEPTS AND OPERATIONS FOR THE PRIMARY GRADES.
8. Whole Number Operations, Patterns and Fractions.
9. Place Value, Geometry and Data Analysis, and Measurement.
Part VI: INVESTIGATIONS IN PRIMARY SCIENCE.
10. Overview of Primary Science, Life Science, and Physical Science.
11. Earth and Space Sciences, Environmental Awareness, Engineering, Technology and Science Applications.
Part VII: THE MATH AND SCIENCE ENVIRONMENT.
12. Materials and Resources and Math and Science in the Classroom and in the Home.
Series: Mindtap Course List
Number Of Pages: 512
Published: 20th March 2015
Publisher: Cengage Learning, Inc
Country of Publication: US
Dimensions (cm): 27.5 x 21.5
Weight (kg): 1.07
Edition Number: 8
Edition Type: Revised