Location-based services (LBS) are a new concept integrating a user's geographic location with the general notion of services, such as dialing an emergency number from a cell phone or using a navigation system in a car. Incorporating both mobile communication and spatial data, these applications represent a novel challenge both conceptually and technically.
The purpose of this book is to describe, in an accessible fashion, the various concepts underlying mobile location-based services. These range from general application-related ideas to technical aspects. Each chapter starts with a high level of abstraction and drills down to the technical details. Contributors examine each application from all necessary perspectives, namely, requirements, services, data, and scalability. An illustrative example begins early in the book and runs throughout, serving as a reference.
· This book defines the LBS field and identifies its capabilities, challenges, and technologies.
· The contributors are recognized experts from academia and industry.
· Coverage includes navigation systems, middleware, interoperability, standards, and mobile communications.
· A sample application, the "find-friend" application, is used throughout the book to integrate the concepts discussed in each chapter.
"Location-Based Services provides a comprehensive sweep through an exciting new area of computing. It's a detailed and powerful primer for understanding the deployment of LBS."
- Xavier Lopez, Director, Spatial, Location, and Network Technologies, Oracle Corporation
"Location-Based Services gives a comprehensive panorama of a multi-disciplinary field. It is an excellent source of information for practitioners and researchers who are facing the numerous technological challenges raised by location-based services."
- Serge Abiteboul, Senior Researcher, INRIA and Scientific Advisor, Xyleme
Series: The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data Management Systems
Number Of Pages: 255
Published: 30th April 2004
Publisher: Elsevier Science & Technology
Country of Publication: US
Dimensions (cm): 23.5 x 19.1
Weight (kg): 0.73