Thirty terrific physics projects from everyone's favorite science teacher<br> <br> This invaluable guide to physics projects, written for middle and high school students, details how to put together projects that showcase key physics concepts. In this latest volume in her successful series of science fair project books, Janice VanCleave provides thirty comprehensive projects-on measurement, force and motion, states of matter, energy, and electricity-that come complete with illustrations, charts, diagrams, and suggestions for original projects on related topics. Whether students want to work with pendulums, lenses, or parallel circuits, this book provides the inspiration and hands-on help they need to assure science fair success.<br> <br> Janice VanCleave (Riesel, TX) is a former elementary and high school science teacher who now spends her time writing and giving science workshops. She is the author of more than forty children's science books, with sales totaling more than 2 million copies.
PART I: FORCE AND MOTION.
1. Center of Gravity: The Balancing Point.
2. Mechanical Stability: Resistance to Falling Over.
3. Friction: Force That Resists Motion.
4. Surface Tension: A Liquid's Skinlike Property.
5. Work: Force Through a Distance.
6. Newton's Third Law of Motion: Action-Reaction.
7. Terminal Velocity: Maximum Velocity in a Fluid.
8. Linear Inertia: Resistance to Change in Linear Motion.
9. Rotational Motion: Spinning Objects.
10.Rotational Inertia: Resistance to Change in Rotary Motion.
11. Pendulum: A Harmonic Oscillator.
PART II: FLUIDS.
12. Buoyancy: Upward Force by Fluids.
13. Atmospheric Pressure: Air Force per Area.
14. Static Fluids: Fluids at Rest.
PART III: ELECTRICITY AND MAGNETISM.
15. Static Electricity: Stationary Charges.
16. Electric Current: Movement of Charges.
17. Series Circuit: Sequential Path.
18. Parallel Circuit: Divided Pathways.
19. Magnetic Field: An Area of Force.
20. Electromagnetism: Magnetism from Electricity.
PART IV: HEAT.
21. Thermal Conduction: Transfer of Vibrational Energy.
22. Convection: Movement of Heat through Fluids.
23. Infrared Radiation: Heat Transferred through Space.
PART V: LIGHT.
24. Polarization: Vivrations in One Direction.
25. Scattering: Receiving and Transmitting Light.
26. Thin-Film Interference: Light Waves In and Out of Step.
27. Convex Lens: Converging Light Rays.
PART VI: SOUND.
28. Sound: Longitudinal Waves.
29. Resonance: Sympathetic Vibration.
PART VII: MEASUREMENT.
30. Angular Measurements: Dimensions in Degrees.
Appendix 1. Trigonometric Functions.
Appendix 2. Relative Error: Percentage Error.
Appendix 3. Manometer.
Appendix 4. Sources of Scientificn Supplies.
Appendix 1: Trigonometric Table.
Appendix 2: Relative Error: Percentage Error.
Appendix 3: Manometer.
Appendix 4: Sources of Scientific Supplies.
Series: VanCleave A+ Science Projects Series
For Ages: 12 - 17 years old
For Grades: 7 - 12
Number Of Pages: 240
Published: 18th July 2003
Country of Publication: US
Dimensions (cm): 22.73 x 15.24 x 1.52
Weight (kg): 0.33
Edition Number: 1