Based on the experience of the restructuring of the MBA program at Case Western Reserve University, the book describes the transformation of a program from one where student learning was incidental to teaching and research into one where learning is preeminent. Draws from ten years of curriculum change efforts to trace the entire process of program redesign, from initial discussion to implementation and evaluation. Examines strategic planning within the professional school and describes in detail the Managerial Assessment Course--a key element of the new program and a driving force for self-directed learning.<br> <br> The book provides specific designs, methods, and procedures for conducting outcome assessment studies, including five types particularly relevant to professional schools: alumni studies, employer studies, faculty studies, student-change studies, and professional competency studies. Throughout the book, the authors and contributors describe a wealth of useful, thought-provoking ideas and learnings on management education and institutional change.
1. Introduction: Taking the Path Toward Learning (Richard E. Boyatzis, Scott S. Cowen, David A. Kolb).
Part One: Processes and Designs.
2. Lessons Learned: Guiding Strategic Change in Higher Education (Scott S. Cowen).
3. Management of Knowledge: Redesigning the Weatherhead MBA Program (Richard E. Boyatzis, Scott S. Cowen, David A. Kolb).
4. Cornerstones of Change: Building the Path for Self-Directed Learning (Richard E. Boyatzis).
Part Two: Outcome Assessments and Results.
5. Past Accomplishments: Establishing the Impact and Baseline of Earlier Programs (Richard E. Boyatzis, Anne Renio-McKee, Lorraine Thompson).
6. Gatekeepers of the Enterprise: Assessing Faculty Intent and the Student Outcome (Richard E. Boyatzis).
7. GAnder Differences in Student Development: Examining Life Stories, Career Histories, and Learning Plans (Susan S. Case, Lorraine Thompson).
8. Will It Make a Difference?: Assessing a Value-Added, Outcome-Oriented, Competency-Based Professional Program (Richard E. Boyatzis, Ann Baker, David Leonard, Kenneth Rhee, Lorraine Thompson).
Part Three: Key Learnings and Dreams.
9. Reactions from the Stakeholders: The Trials and Tribulations of Implementing a New Program (Richard E. Boyatzis, Scott S. Cowen, David A. Kolb).
10. Conclusion: What If Learning Were the Purpose of Education? (Richard E. Boyatzis, Scott S. Cowen, David A. Kolb).
Series: Joint Publication in the Jossey-Bass Management Series and t
Number Of Pages: 280
Published: 10th November 1994
Publisher: JOSSEY BASS
Country of Publication: US
Dimensions (cm): 24.2 x 15.85
Weight (kg): 0.53
Edition Number: 1