Preface: The Human Impact: A Developing Literature.
Part I: Geomorphological and Surface Impacts: Introduction.
1. Man's Impact on Shorelines and Nearshore Environments: A Geomorphological Perspective: H. J. Walker.
2. Land Subsidence: A Worldwide Environmental Hazard: L. Carbognin.
3. Reservoirs and Earthquakes: R. B. Meade.
4. Human Influence Upon Sedimentation in Llangorse Lake, Wales: R. Jones, K. Benson-Evans and F. M. Chambers.
5. Soil Conservation in the Coon Creek Basin, Wisconsin: S. W. Trimble and S. W. Lund.
Part II: Soil Impacts: Introduction.
6. Framework for Man-Made Soil Changes - an Outline of Metapedogenesis: D. H. Yaalon and B. Yaron.
7. Salinization: New Perspectives on a Major Desertification Issue: D. S. G. Thomas and N. J. Middleton.
8. Salinization of Non-Irrigated Soils and Associated Streams: A Review: A. J. Peck.
9. Land Use and Soil Erosion in Prehistoric and Historical Greece: T. H. Van Andel and E. Zangger.
10. Soil Erosion in Britain: A Review: J. Boardman and R. Evans.
Part III: Water Impacts: Introduction.
11. Desiccation of the Aral Sea: A Water Management Disaster in the Soviet Union: P. P. Micklin.
12. Lowering of a Shallow, Saline Water Table by Extensive Eucalypt Reforestation: M. A. Bari and N. J. Schofield.
13. Nutrient Loss Accelerated by Clear-Cutting of a Forest Ecosystem: F. H. Bormann, G. E. Likens, D. W. Fisher and R. S. Fisher.
14. Effects of Construction on Fluvial Sediment, Urban and Suburban Areas of Maryland: M. G. Wolman and A. P. Schick.
15. Rain, Roads, Roof and Runoff: Hydrology in Cities: G. E. Hollis.
16. Farming and Nitrate Pollution: T. P. Burt and N. E. Haycock.
17. Diatom and Chemical Evidence for Reversibility of Acidification of Scottish Lochs: R. W. Battarbee, R. J. Flower, A. C. Stevenson, V. J. Jones, R. Harrison and P. G. Appleby.
18. Lake Acidification in Galloway: A Palaeoecological Test of Competing Hypotheses: R. W. Battarbee, R. J. Flower, A. C. Stevenson and B. Rippey.
Part IV: Climatic and Atmospheric Impacts: Introduction.
19. Man-Made Climatic Changes: H. E. Landsberg.
20. Climatic Impact of Increasing Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide: J. Hansen, D. Johnson, A. Lacis, S. Lededeff, P. Lee and G. Russell.
21. Atmospheric Methane: Trends over the Last 10,000 Years: M. A. K. Khalil and R. A. Rasmussen.
22. Possible Climatic Change due to Sulphur Dioxide-Derived Cloud Condensation Nuclei: T. M. L. Wigley.
23. Possible Climatic Impacts of Tropical Deforestation: E. Salati and C. N. Nobre.
24. Large Losses of Total Ozone in Antarctica Reveal Seasonal C1Ox/NOx Interactions: J. C. Farman, B. G. Gardener and J. D. Sharklin.
25. Chlorofluorocarbons and the Depletion of Stratospheric Ozone: F. S. Rowland.
26. Biomass Burning in the Tropics: Impacts on Atmospheric Chemistry and Biogeochemical Cycles: P. J. Crutzen and M. O. Andrea.
27. Acid Rain: A Serious Regional Environmental Problem: G. E. Likens and F. H. Bormann.
28. Decrease in Anthropogenic Lead, Cadmium and Zinc in Greenland Snows Since the Late 1960s: C. F. Boutron, U. Gorlach, J. P. Candelone, M. A. Bolshow and R. J. Delmas.
Part V: Biological Impacts: Introduction.
29. Habitat Fragmentation in the Temperate Zone: D. S. Wilcove, C. H. McLellan, and A. P. Dobson.
30. The Effects of Deforestation in Amazonia: H. Sioli.
31. Rates of Deforestation in the Humid Tropics: Estimates and Measurements: A. Grainger.
32. Wetland Loss in Louisiana: H. J. Walker, J. M. Coleman, H. H. Roberts and R. S. Tye.
33. Coral Reefs - A Challenging Ecosystem for Human Societies: B. Salvat.
34. Is Desertification a Myth?: T. Binns.
35. Large Herbivorous Mammals: Exotic Species in Northern Australia: W. J. Freeland.
36. Chlorinated Hydrocarbons and Eggshell Changes in Raptorial and Fish-Eating Birds: J. J. Hickey and O. W. Anderson.
37. Forest Decline and Acidic Deposition: L. F. Pitelka and D. J. Raynal.
38. The Biodiversity Challenge: Expanded Hotspots Analysis: N. Myers.
Part VI: Conclusion: Introduction.
39. The Human Species: A Suicidal Success: C. Tickell.