List of Figures.
List of tables.
List of contributors.
Part I: Evaluating Public Services. .
1. Evaluating the Performance of Central Government: John Brown.
2. Assessing the Performance of Schools: Brian Wilcox.
3. Evaluating Health Services: from Value for Money to the Valuing of Health Services: Andrew F. Long.
4. The Audit Commission: Mary Henkel.
5. An Overview of the Use of Performance Indicators in Local Government: David Burningham.
Evaluating Public Services: Reflections: Stephen Harrison and Christopher Pollitt.
Part II: Controlling Public Service Professionals. .
6. Controlling Doctors: Brain Edwards.
7. The Case of Local Authority Social Workers: Alan Butler.
8. The Management of Staff: the Case of the London Fire Brigade: Graham Salaman.
Controlling Public Service Professionals: Reflections: Stephen Harrison and Christopher Pollitt.
Part III: New Approaches to Resource Management. .
9. Local Management of Schools; a New System of Resource Allocation and Accountability: Rosalind Levacic.
10. Resource Management in Universities: John Sizer.
11. The Civil Service and The Financial Management Initiatives: Andrew Grey and Bill Jenkins.
12. Changes in Resource Management in the Social Services: Norman Warner.
13. Resource Management in the National Health Service: David Symes.
14. New Approaches to Resource Management: Reflections. Stephen Harrison and Christopher Pollitt.
Part IV: Strategic Management.
15. Organizational Design and Development: the Civil Service in the 1980s: Kate Jenkins.
16. Organizing the Strategic Management: the Personal social Services: Gerald Wistow.
17. Strategic Management in Local Government and the NHS: Rodney Brooke.
18. The Organizational Structure of the Police: Roy Wilkie.
19. Strategic Management in the Prison Service: Chris J. Train and Christine Stewart.
20. Strategic Management in Social Service: Norman Tutt, Jean Neale and William Warburton.
21. Strategic Management: Reflections: Stephen Harris and Christopher Pollitt.